MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #16
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Chester View Post
That's funny as hell. I get so many people asking me what style of Q I prefer and what style I will serve at my new restaurant. My response is, I could care less about style, I just like GOOD BBQ. I will serve GOOD BBQ.
---quick hijiack---

When are you gonna open?

----hijack over---
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #17
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Chester View Post
That's funny as hell. I get so many people asking me what style of Q I prefer and what style I will serve at my new restaurant. My response is, I could care less about style, I just like GOOD BBQ. I will serve GOOD BBQ.
Tofu stuffed avocados?

[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #18
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I seem to recall Pitmaster T telling about making pulled pork for a church event or something in Texas, and some of the natives telling him it was the best brisket they'd ever had.

I'm certain that a whole lot of these negative ideas that people get, come from having one bad experience at a tourist trap that makes terrible BBQ.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #19
Boshizzle

I like American style BBQ. If it ain't American it ain't BBQ! I don't want to eat no pinko commy BBQ, that's for sure.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #20
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I like American style BBQ. If it ain't American it ain't BBQ! I don't want to eat no pinko commy BBQ, that's for sure.
Quick! Clean the cotton candy off that avatar!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #21
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

GTR - Mid - Late August
Deguerre - I bet I could make some killer tofu stuffed avocados!

Old 05-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #22
spider22
Full Fledged Farker

I have not tried to BBQ anything yet but plan to try in the near future but from what I have read in the forum one of the things that bbq does is render the fat. IMO pork gravy tastes better than beef gravy so it would make sense to me that pork bbq would be a little more flavorful. It is also my opinion that if it is good bbq it really doesn't matter that much and if he likes your ribs so much that he asked you to some for him then it seems logical that he would like your pulled pork as well and should not say no to it just because he is from Texas.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #23
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

Meh. Like others have said some folks regardless of where they live will be closed minded about stuff. Folks would be surprised what they would like if they gave it a chance. I for one love pulled chuckie sammies just as much as I love pulled pork sammies. As a matter of factly if I had one of each on my lunch plate right now I would be extremely happy.
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #24
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider22 View Post
I have not tried to BBQ anything yet but plan to try in the near future but from what I have read in the forum one of the things that bbq does is render the fat. IMO pork gravy tastes better than beef gravy so it would make sense to me that pork bbq would be a little more flavorful. It is also my opinion that if it is good bbq it really doesn't matter that much and if he likes your ribs so much that he asked you to some for him then it seems logical that he would like your pulled pork as well and should not say no to it just because he is from Texas.

Not intending to offend any of our Texas brethren but since moving to Northwest Louisiana I have learned that Texas folk is proud folk. They LOVE being from Texas and are very proud of anything from Texas. And in some cases saying your favorite "something" is "something" not from Texas is by default insulting Texas. Even though you never said as much. Proud folk I say. Very proud.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #25
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

Being from the north country of Minnesota most people here wouldn't know good Q if it reached out and bit them. In the church basement culture of my youth, BBQ meant sloppy joes served on a bun during a church social. The only smoking that is "native" up here is a few old timers that are good at smoking fish and some locals who have/had farm skills that are dying fast like curing and smoking a country ham. Everything I have learned about smoking beef, pork, and chicken I did through reading and studying about other parts of the country and trying to emulate the best I could with the equipment I could afford. I think I am doing a pretty tasty job of things but I am not "native" with my skills. That being said I seem to try more variety than other parts of the country where they might have a strong loyalty to one animal, cut, or technique.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #26
landarc

One of the great things about BBQ, it is a national obsession, at least eating it is. But, it can be incredibly polarizing as well. Lots of folks know what they grew up with, and that is what they are going to go with. Often, you have a bad experience, and form an opinion. I would have told you I don't much care for chopped BBQ beef sandwiches for years, after eating quite a few bad ones, then I had a good one, changed my view.

There is also the conversation of how narrow you want to define a certain food or style of cooking. Lots of folks want BBQ to be one thing, and not allow for a more open definition. I am in the school that folks can call it BBQ is that is how they communicate, I will be clear what I am cooking for my own standards.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #27
spider22
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
Not intending to offend any of our Texas brethren but since moving to Northwest Louisiana I have learned that Texas folk is proud folk. They LOVE being from Texas and are very proud of anything from Texas. And in some cases saying your favorite "something" is "something" not from Texas is by default insulting Texas. Even though you never said as much. Proud folk I say. Very proud.
New England people tend to be proud as well and as far as I know we are not noted for any type of bbq but that does not mean we can't enjoy it as much as the next person.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #28
idrivefast
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
That being said I seem to try more variety than other parts of the country where they might have a strong loyalty to one animal, cut, or technique.
That is one benefit of living in the upper Midwest; we have no "frame of reference" so to speak. Whether it's pork, beef, or whatever. The downside to this is that we have a severe lack of solid BBQ restaurants so people consider Applebee's baby back ribs real BBQ. It's comical when you give someone real smoked BBQ for the first time. It's almost like a religious experience.

Don't sell yourself short on how good our smoked fish is though. There is some stellar smoked fish (salmon, white fish, etc.) in this state.

OP, the only thing you can do in a situation like yours is to just smile and not say anything. Some people are just closed minded and no matter how wrong their beliefs are, they just will not change. Kind of like politics.
idrivefast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #29
landarc

Ever talk to someone from Maryland about doing a crab boil or clam bake in California? Every bit as closed-minded at times.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #30
Grafixgibbs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Tofu stuffed avocados?

He said "GOOD BBQ." Just because it's BBQed does't make it good.

BBQ is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

KCBS Member
CBJ
55 gallon Texas Grill (deceased), CS-680 Louisiana Grill, Charbroil R2 unit, Weber Performer
Grafixgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote