Smoked turkey.....

daninnewjersey

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
In preparation for Thanksgiving I did a test run in my less than pretty UDS. This was the first turkey I ever smoked and let's just say I'm officially the Thanksgiving turkey maker from now on. Did PattioDaddio's Ultimate brine for a 13.5lb bird and wow....is that a great brine. Was in the juice for 12 hours and it worked like a charm. Rubbed with a sea salt and black pepper mix and into a 325-350 degree UDS smoked with oak for about 4.5hrs.

Actually got the bird a little too hot (180 degrees in the breast) but after a 1/2 hour rest I couldn't believe how juicy it still was. My guests all said it was the best turkey they've had. Thanks PattioDaddio for your suggestions....they really helped. And now the pics....

Last edited:
Nice Bird!
I did a test run this weekend as well. Wife got a butterball, so I didn't brine it.
Spatchcocked, rubbed with seasoning salt.
UDS at 300-350 for 4 hrs.
Turned out great!

Nice job. Bet you are feeling better about the Thanksgiving bird.

Not a thing wrong with that! And I love the UDS......... priceless!

PS - I have smoked a couple of turkeys in the past, and they have come out great. Your's is one nice lookin' bird!

Great work, Dan! I'm very happy that the brine worked well for you. I too did
one last weekend, and it was well-received at our church dinner.

John

I'm gonna do one this year also, I pray to the turkeys that I'm gonna serve it turns out as good as yours! Nice job! :thumb:

Nice bird Dan. I've tried the John's brine myself, it does wonders. Good Job.

I bet they will be happy you give them the bird thanks giving if it comes out looking like that.

Nice work.
Rick

Back