MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
che22879
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Will enhanced ribs taste better hot and fast?

Since the ribs on special this week at target are loaded with "12% tender solution" I was wondering if cooking them hot and fast will keep them from tasting like ham? What seasoning would be good to use on them for hot and fast grilling?

Old 06-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

IMO they already taste hammy. Hot and fast won't help.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Most cryovac packed ribs we encounter are enhanced for many so called reasons. Some companies are not pushing the fact. As far as over seasoning goes it depends on the packers mix. Some has more chemicals that affect the hamminess one worries about. When they feel real limp and flexable they are probably not wanting much more salt is what we've noticed. Lately the IBF premiums from Sam's have been great. As far as hot and fast , sorry not my thing. I'm a rib wrapper on a smoker kind of cook. Just season with your favorite stuff and enjoy. Good luck. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Smoking @ 300 is still smoking, you just get more sleep and more free time :)

I would consider rinsing, then soaking in something to neutralize the salt, maybe milk? I really don't know, just taking a stab in the dark here.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

At already pointed out, "enhanced" ribs aren't all the same.

The hammiest ones I've done were Smithfield st. louis spares, but the Kroger ribs can turn out pretty good IMHO, as long as you use little or no salt in the rub. I also thoroughly rinse after skinning the membrane off. I think they probably get tender a little quicker than "natural" ribs, so I'd be really careful and check often if cooking HH. Personally, I just cook at the same temps as natural ones.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
che22879
is one Smokin' Farker

These are Hormel ribs. I made some baby backs a few weeks ago also from Hormel and they weren't bad. I'll smoke a few racks and do at least one hot and fast and see which ones come out better.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I have done Hormel ribs once before. They were very very salty.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbbqguy View Post
Most cryovac packed ribs we encounter are enhanced for many so called reasons. Some companies are not pushing the fact. As far as over seasoning goes it depends on the packers mix. Some has more chemicals that affect the hamminess one worries about. When they feel real limp and flexable they are probably not wanting much more salt is what we've noticed. Lately the IBF premiums from Sam's have been great. As far as hot and fast , sorry not my thing. I'm a rib wrapper on a smoker kind of cook. Just season with your favorite stuff and enjoy. Good luck. Steve.
Does this include the ribs at Sam's and Costco?
GrillinFool is offline   Reply With Quote