MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Sammy
Found some matches.

Default internal temp for fully cooked pork

Everything I read about internal temp for fully cooked pork is around 170, but on here I keep seeing 195. Can someone tell me more about this 195 temp target?
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

We're talking about pork shoulders (butts and/or picnics) or hams (fresh hams, not cured), to have all the fat rendered properly and be done to the point where it pulls perfectly (falling off the bone) and holds its moisture, you're looking at 192-202. It's done around 165, but it doesnt make pulled pork worth a darn...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
cbagby64
Full Fledged Farker

195+ will get you pulled pork. The fat starts to break down at 170ish

Old 05-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
JD08
is one Smokin' Farker

It depends on what pork you're talking about. A pork loin roast can come off at 150-155, but the shoulder/Boston butt needs to be 195 to be tender and pull apart.

Exactly what cut of pork are you cooking and how do you intend to cook it?
JD08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
realspaazz
Take a breath!

There is a difference between the internal temperature at which the meat is safe to eat and the temp where it is super tender and delicious. On Pork butts, picnics and fresh hams something wonderful happens on the smoker between 170 and 195-200. There is a scientific explanation with proteins and collagens denaturing and fats rendering, but it tastes like magic.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
Soybomb
Full Fledged Farker

Safe to eat isn't always cooked. I'll stop cooking a pork loin when it reaches 135 because its safe to eat but its so lean I don't want it to dry out. I take my butts to 195-200 because they aren't fall apart tender yet. You'll eat a medium rare steak at 135, but your brisket will probably be leather until it hits 190-200.

I believe the .gov guidelines for food temp are often overly cautious assuming you aren't immune system compromised. I'll also put raw egg whites in a cock tail, eat a medium rare hamburger if I trust the grinder, have an egg sunny side up. Ymmv.

My rough rule of thumb for safe to eat is:
ground meat:160 for supermarket meat, 135 for hamburger i believe to be "clean"
steak: 135
chicken: 160
pork: 135 for large cuts like loin, 140 for tenderloin or chops

Fattier, poorer cuts of meat (like those bbq is often made from) often will need to be cooked to higher temperatures.
Soybomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
Bama Q
On the road to being a farker

195, for pulling, temperatures are a bit lower for chopped or sliced.
Bama Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #8
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Soybomb HIT the NAIL on the HEAD!!! Even the OVERLY cautious USDA now recognizes pork as "safe to eat" at 145 internal temp.What the others said is also a fact about fattier larger hunks of meat.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2011, 12:11 AM   #9
Frank Grimes
Full Fledged Farker

Great info from the previous posts, if it's pork shoulder it has to be over 190 to pull apart. Leaner cuts(like loins) I cook to 135 so it won't dry out.
Frank Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #10
Sammy
Found some matches.

Thanks guys,
I'm speaking of butts, I cook with wood only at a temp of 200 to 225 for 8hrs. The meat hits around 170 by this time, then I will wrap and stoke the cooker up to around 325 and go to bed. I'll come back 5 or 6hrs later and the cooker will be around 150. Depending on what I have to do that morning determines if I leave them there to finish resting or not.

So they could be hitting that 195 mark after all (I've never checked) because all I have to do is pick up on the bone and it falls right out.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

I would say you have been doing it right it the bone falls right out.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #12
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
Soybomb HIT the NAIL on the HEAD!!! Even the OVERLY cautious USDA now recognizes pork as "safe to eat" at 145 internal temp.What the others said is also a fact about fattier larger hunks of meat.

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote