MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
Rowdycue
On the road to being a farker

Default Cutting drum lid for a UDS

This may have been covered in the UDS thread but I don't have time to read it all. I will soon build one and will have to cut the top off. My question is if I don't choose to buy a dome lid would I be able to get a good enough seal on the lid if I cut it under the rim and just put that lid back on? I haven't done much cutting of metal but have a scrolling saw I can use for the job. I just don't know how tight the lid would have to fit or if it would be better to cut the top off inside the rim and make a lid out of something else-maybe plywood. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Rowdycue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
blues brother
Full Fledged Farker

My first UDS has the weber lid. Second will use a donor drum that will be cut at the first rib...I hope this will sit on top of the main drum and seal tight enough to work. Someone on the UDS thread has already done it this way.
Make time to read the entire thread. Its worth it.
1 GF223 Stump Smoker
1 250 gal propane tank cooker(trailer mounted)
1 UDS to be...soon
1 Traeger

NEVER TRUST A SKINNY COOK!
blues brother is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
dgassaway
Full Fledged Farker

I can say that time spent reading the UDS thread will pay off in time and $ saved while building your smoker.

Good luck!

David
dgassaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
snoqualmiesmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdycue View Post
This may have been covered in the UDS thread but I don't have time to read it all. I will soon build one and will have to cut the top off. My question is if I don't choose to buy a dome lid would I be able to get a good enough seal on the lid if I cut it under the rim and just put that lid back on? I haven't done much cutting of metal but have a scrolling saw I can use for the job. I just don't know how tight the lid would have to fit or if it would be better to cut the top off inside the rim and make a lid out of something else-maybe plywood. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I was unable to get the closed drum to separate from the lip. I had to use a weber lid. But I thought the same thing. I had hoped to find a drum de-header that would seperate the lid, but couldn't find one. But you do need a tight seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgassaway View Post
I can say that time spent reading the UDS thread will pay off in time and $ saved while building your smoker.

Good luck!

David
Personally, the 3230 posts on 216 pages in that thread is a bit much. Someone needs to dig through that and get the info out. There are bad links and missing pictures now.
STOKER 2
STOKER WHITEBOX
OKLAHOMA JOE LONGHORN
STUMPS PLATINUM
SUPERIOR SS1
[url]jjbbqcompany.com[/url]
snoqualmiesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote