Deboning a leg of lamb (with pics)

Jeremiah

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Picked up 3 unbutchered legs of lamb this morning. I de-boned them and cubed them up for kabobs. Going to grill them tomorrow and bring them in for a dept. lunch. Had my girlfriend snap some pics of the process:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg
28.jpg
29.jpg
30.jpg
31.jpg
32.jpg
33.jpg
34.jpg
35.jpg
36.jpg
37.jpg
38.jpg

Wow! Widescreen version with no captions!
Looks like a lot of work, but sure does look good!
Where are the Kabobs?
Wanna share the marinade recipe?

Wanna share the marinade recipe?

Sure, however I can't promise the proportions because I don't know them myself (I'm bad with writing recording measurements). I bought everything the night before, so what I do know I'll add or try to estimate:

Juice of 9 lemons (really squeezed the crap out of them, didn't let any juice go to waste).
32 ounces of regular olive oil

There herbs were all fresh, not dry. The containers were those plastic snap see through ones in the supermarket. Not quite sure how much is in there, but it's not that much! Rip off!!!

3 cloves of garlic
2 bunches of parsley
2 containers of mint
2 containers of Rosemary
2 containers of Oregano
2 containers of Thyme
1 container or Sage
ground fresh pepper in, by sight
added salt to the above, also by sight

Never tried the above before (have done similar, but not the exact above), I'll report back with results later.

Girlfriend is sick today so no one to take pics of the cook and result :frown:. Did come out pretty darn good though, you have my word on that !

A few pics!

I think I may have retired...... Looks great I love lamb. Need to do one soon....

Has anyone smoked a rack of lamb yet. If you did, how was it, what wood and rub???

I've done it before with olive wood. I placed an order with a local wood guy and he gave me some samples of his olive. Came out great, I used salt pepper and oregano. I did however give it an initial sear over direct heat then finished it indirect around 350-400.

yeah that reminds me that i need to do some lamb as well. looks nice! that lamb looks like a young one too!

OK, I may be missing something cause I was having trouble scrolling around on that widescreen stuff. But I have a question.
Why go through all that de-boning stuff if you are going to end up with kebob cubes? Why not just whack the meat off the bones, cube it up and save the bones for another use?

Not trying to be critical, just trying to understand:confused:

Has anyone smoked a rack of lamb yet. If you did, how was it, what wood and rub???

We do lamb frequently. I like to do a un-frenched rack. Personal favorite is Pecan wood, or mix of pecan and oak. Same for most lamb.
For seasoning, I use a basic salt, black pepper, garlic and rosemary blend on a rack, which cooks quick.
For breast of lamb, or shoulder cuts, I use same rub I do on pork.

Never did it before, good enough reason for me :). I did also want to efficiently separate the meat from the bones in order to segregate for kabobs and stew.

Never did it before, good enough reason for me :). I did also want to efficiently separate the meat from the bones in order to segregate for kabobs and stew.

Jeremiah, sounds like a perfectly good reason to me too. Hope you had fun. Always nice honing new skills.
That marinade with all the fresh herbs looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Back