MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
TEC
Found some matches.

Default Beef Brisket: Honest Opinions Needed

I have read that if you buy a cryovac sealed beef brisket and place it in the refrigerator for a min. of 30 days that it develops better flavors. I need to know before I take up that much frig space, whether or not this is really true. Is this something that can actually be tasted or just a something that people think they can taste because they believe it? Has anyone ventured a side by side taste test?

Thanks in advance!
TEC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

If you know the butcher he can tell you the slaughter date that is on the case and 30 days in your fridge might not be needed.

EDIT: Packing date not slaughter date. Why am I so dumb??

Last edited by mikeleonard81; 09-23-2013 at 12:29 AM.. Reason: Not slaughter date packing date
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

When stores/butchers buy a case of brisket, there is a packing date marked on the box. That is the start date and about 30 days after that you oughta be cooking the meat. The problem is they don't pass that date onto you. Sometimes all you get is a sell by or use by date. I would be safe and not go beyond those dates if you can't get someone to tell you the packing date.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Yes, you can tell the difference in taste and tenderness.

But, as the guys pointed out, you have to know the pack date or kill date (some beef processors list the kill date instead of the pack date) before you can safely wet age.

I wet age briskets for at least 30 days beyond the pack date and prefer to go 45 - 50 days.

The refrigerator that you use for aging the brisket should be opened as little as possible.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
ironmanerik
is One Chatty Farker

I see "wet ageing" a lot. What is actually happening in that cryovac?

Old 09-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
NorthernMN
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Yes, you can tell the difference in taste and tenderness.

But, as the guys pointed out, you have to know the pack date or kill date (some beef processors list the kill date instead of the pack date) before you can safely wet age.

I wet age briskets for at least 30 days beyond the pack date and prefer to go 45 - 50 days.

The refrigerator that you use for aging the brisket should be opened as little as possible.

This is the most important thing next too the kill or pack date. If you try this in your regular fridge it will not be good. There is a specific temp range you need to hold for this process other wise it may smell funny when you take it out.

Last edited by Ron_L; 09-23-2013 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Fixed broken quote
NorthernMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Why is this? To keep light out? Limit the amount of temp fluctuations?

Old 09-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
smoke-n-fire

i don't believe i'd be trying that one

Old 09-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
scaramoche

Opening and closing fridge door has to do with temp fluctuations. I think it was kenji Lopez at serious eats while doing his dry age experiments said that when you open the door to pour milk into your erceal the fridge losses about 7% of its energy. Then you open it for a glass of OJ that's about 10% total loss. See where this is going...
scaramoche is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Enzymatic breakdown is what is occurring, the connective tissue and cell structures are breaking down. There is a change to texture and flavor as a result.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-23-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
TEC
Found some matches.

Thanks guys.
Since I get my meats from Restaurant Depot I guess I wont be trying this. I've never seen a packaged date on their meats.
TEC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2013, 05:08 AM   #12
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The packing date is on the box they are shipped in. If you can ask someone you may be able to find this out.

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #13
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Thanks guys.
Since I get my meats from Restaurant Depot I guess I wont be trying this. I've never seen a packaged date on their meats.
The guy at RD told me that there beef is wet aged 30 days from the supplier before they sell it.
I wet aged some RD briskets for 45-60 days and they all turned bad. Even after rinsing and scrubbing them they were still sour.
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #14
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEC View Post
Thanks guys.
If you buy by the case at RD the pack date is on the case. If you buy individual meats the date code on the meats is the day that they printed the label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
The guy at RD told me that there beef is wet aged 30 days from the supplier before they sell it.
I wonder if this is different in different RD regions, or if this has changed. I had this conversation with the meat department manager at my local RD a couple of years ago and he told me that they weren't aged, and the dates on the cases on the shelf agreed with that. I'll have to ask again on my nest trip.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #15
Grizzly6
Full Fledged Farker

I've done this before and I am currently agine one right now. The first one turned out awesome. Since then I have become more smarter... ish, on how to properly cook one of them their things. So it should come out even gooderer this time.
DUCAN Affinity - gasser
Mini UDS (For the 12 yr old of course)
Extreme amounts of awesome to assist
12 yr old who loves to cook, and an 9 yr old who is
getting interested
Grizzly6 is offline   Reply With Quote