MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

Default Looking into a Humphrey...

I currently have a large and an xl bge. Love using them and get fantastic results with them. But i need more room for larger events. Looking at the Humphrey pits that are vertical and reverse flow. Will they produce the juicy meat that I am used too? I know there will be a learning curve with this, just don't want to spend my money and not like it because the end result isn't up to par with what i am used too. Never seen a pit like this or had food from one that I know of so I don't know what to expect. What you brethren think?

Old 07-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

I just ordered one a few weeks back. Should have in the next few weeks. I let you know then. They are very easy to work with.
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

I am going to guess you will love it. They are similar to a backwoods in design. The biggest change for you will be managing a water based smoker (if you choose to fill the pan) vs what you have today. I have done four decent size cooks on my BW Party since I got it recently. Very happy with the results. Moist food shouldn't be a problem.

I was concerned about managing the fire and water in an upright vertical. My smoker has no heat diverter which I read I really should have to slow down water evaporation. But I am getting 10 hours of charcoal burn and about five + hours on the water pan. Not the 18+ hours your eggs can go but very reasonable.

I would buy a humphreys in a heartbeat. I actually bought my party from them which was a refurb. Was more affordable to buy used now. But I see a Humphreys somewhere in. My future! Good luck.

Remember RGB....always sending it
jmellor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

Looking at getting a custom cubed version of the beast. The slide out water pan version of the beast has a heat diverter in it I believe. Can you put other liquids in the water pan for flavor? Or something besides water? I have seen where people put sand or fire bricks in there. What would no water do? Sorry for the abundance of questions, trying to get these figured out before I pull the trigger.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowin-fire View Post
I currently have a large and an xl bge. Love using them and get fantastic results with them. But i need more room for larger events. Looking at the Humphrey pits that are vertical and reverse flow. Will they produce the juicy meat that I am used too? I know there will be a learning curve with this, just don't want to spend my money and not like it because the end result isn't up to par with what i am used too. Never seen a pit like this or had food from one that I know of so I don't know what to expect. What you brethren think?
I am a Humphrey's owner....

I did research on different smokers for about 6 months and even went to others who had who had the other models I was looking at (Stumps and Backwoods). Although I could not test drive the Humprey's Down East Beast, I was able to see the Battle Box which was a smaller version of my cooker.

I can tell you that I purchased my cooker in February with virtually no waiting time and it was delivered to me within a week. I was well pleased with my purchase and the cooker performed better than I anticipated.

Today, I will have to say that with many many uses of the cooker, I am even happier with my purchase than when I first used it.

I would suggest that you review your needs and evaluate the smoker from that perspective before making your choice. Here is a link on "Why I Chose a Humphrey's Smoker". Maybe this will help guide you in your choice.

I will say that if you purchase a Humphrey's smoker you will be happy with the quality and performance of the unit.

While it is not necessary to use, because the Humphrey's are very easy to regulate temperatures, I would suggest the use of a BBQ Guru to make everything super easy. I load the cooker turn on the Guru and get a good nights sleep. I find that now I can enjoy being part of the gathering rather than being tired from checking on the cooker.

Good luck in your choice...

Quote:
Looking at getting a custom cubed version of the beast. The slide out water pan version of the beast has a heat diverter in it I believe. Can you put other liquids in the water pan for flavor? Or something besides water? I have seen where people put sand or fire bricks in there. What would no water do? Sorry for the abundance of questions, trying to get these figured out before I pull the trigger.
The water pan is a full sized stainless steel steam table pan. You could put other liquids in the water pan, but the inside of the cooker does not build up moisture. The cooker remains dry so do not think you would benefit from adding other liquids for flavor. I would suggest occasional misting rather than using a liquid in the pan for flavoring.

The water pan is designed to be used in the cooker and it does regulate the heat extremely well without steaming the meat. The flow of the heat from the cooker rises up the sides and then down across the meat to the bottom exhaust vent which keeps the water at the exhaust level and not rising to condensate on the meat.

You could ask Kevin "Smokinit" about a heat diverter, but I was always opposed to water pans, but this is a great design... Don't fix what isn't broken..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

I have a stoker setup already that would be going on it. I have read your article many times. Been very helpful. Just a whole different animal than what I am used to using.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
IamMadMan

Quote:
I have a stoker setup already that would be going on it. I have read your article many times. Been very helpful. Just a whole different animal than what I am used to using.
The stoker will work fine...

I was always a fan of the horizontal cooker with no water pan. The choice to go vertical seemed only logical for my sausage making, but was apprehensive of the water pan.

After a week, I gave/sold my other three smokers away because this was so efficient. My only regret is that I had not done this sooner, but I find much comfort in the fact that I obviously made the perfect choice.

I did keep a Camp Chef propane smoker to use as a holding oven / jerky maker, but with this heat spell the Humphrey's makes jerky with the hot sun and 4-5 pieces of lump with the air choked down.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

What can you get for meat on the beast?

Old 07-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
IamMadMan

Quote:
What can you get for meat on the beast?
With the drop in water pan and extra shelves I have loaded 12 butts into the cooker. However I like to use a separate drip pan, so when I use a drip pan I can load 10 Butts with much room between them. I believe if I stagger them left - right - left I could fit 15 butts in the cooker with a drip pan.

With rib racks I have cooked 30 racks of ribs at one time.

Even with an 8 pound load of charcoal, the unit heats up fast and recovers very quickly when the door is opened and closed... Runs about 10 - 12 hours depending on your charcoal.

I have found that the cooker likes lump charcoal, it burns hotter and smoother with lump than it does with briquettes.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

When you open the door, how long does it take to get back to temp?

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #11
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
When you open the door, how long does it take to get back to temp?
With the Guru, when I open to spritz all 5/6 shelves, it recovers in less than 2 minutes...... If I open to switch meat on top and lower shelves (open over 5 minutes) it recovers in about 8 minutes.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

Ok I think I better pull the trigger. Anything you don't like about it? Get good smoke flavor with it?

Old 07-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #13
IamMadMan

Quote:
Ok I think I better pull the trigger. Anything you don't like about it? Get good smoke flavor with it?
There is absolutely nothing I don't like about it..... In fact I still smile every time I start the Down East Beast. I am happier with it now than I was when I bought it, it is AWESOME!!!!!

I get great smoke flavor, but as you know flavor is dependent upon what type of wood and how much you use. I use 4 fist sized chunks of apple or cherry for the most part, but do occasionally use oak, maple, or hickory when the need arises. Sometimes I'll also scatter a handful of chips or pellets on top of the charcoal as well.

It also makes a great cold smoker with the use of an A-Maze-N pellet smoker in the bottom.

I have cooked brisket, pork, chicken, made jerky, smoked sausage, and hams.

For me and my needs, it is the ultimate perfect smoker.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

Custom Downeast Beast is ordered. Now I have to wait 5 weeks... Thanks for the insight fellas!

Old 07-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

Dang - that's a good looking smoker. I bet it would cost me a ton to ship it to GA, otherwise the price seems like a great deal!
Uncle JJ is offline   Reply With Quote