US meat industry renames cuts; pork chops are now ribeyes

jeffsee

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
According to this article, "In an effort to boost sales just ahead of the U.S. grilling season, and make shopping at the meat counter a bit easier, the pork and beef industries are retooling more than 350 names of meat cuts to give them more sizzle and consumer appeal."

Thoughts?

Sounds like a pork-barrel project to me.

If they want more sizzle, try dropping the prices.

Sounds to me like all those folks who are following recipes will no longer be able to find the cut of meat they need for their recipe any more because it is labeled something completely different.

Should be good for some laughs.

I think they shoudl just rename them to "Absolute Pleasure" and "Pure Taste of Heaven" and stuff like that. To hell with all these silly names like "ribeye" and crap. They could charge a lot more for a piece of Heaven.

This is going to eff up comp team / rub / domain names....

Rubbin' Butts => Rubbin' Roasts
ButtRub.com => RoastRub.com
Butt Naked BBQ => Roast Naked BBQ.

Can't we do something about this? Can't we stage a sit-in?

Can't we sit on our Roasts until the council agrees to stop the name change?

Who's with me?

Oh no! If they are doin this they are prolly gonna change butts to shoulder or roast too. What's I like Bigbutts gonna do for a handle?

Was this suggested by our friend Ginger? Another feather in the cap of the MOINK industry.:crazy:

Well fark, they missed a perfect opportunity. It says they are NOT going to rename any chicken parts, but I for one am pretty sure that Wings should be called Chicken Bacon.

Hmmm...maybe they are going to change bacon to Pork Wings instead?:noidea:

Does this mean that they will finally start giving better names to those confusing Beef Ribs? Ginger and I can't wait to have some Beef Babybacks and Beef Spares.

Somehow retooling 350 names in a completely voluntary system seems counter to improving ease of use.

But ground beef is still ground beef and chicken breast is still chicken breast so at least I know I won't starve.

According to this article, "In an effort to boost sales just ahead of the U.S. grilling season, and make shopping at the meat counter a bit easier, the pork and beef industries are retooling more than 350 names of meat cuts to give them more sizzle and consumer appeal."

Thoughts?

I think I am getting to old to learn any new stuff......except for cooking it....

Joel

But ground beef is still ground beef and chicken breast is still chicken breast so at least I know I won't starve.

And, if you had ground chicken breast you could make chicken burgers :thumb:

I heard on the radio that they are going to be adding cooking directions to the label too. I imagine that will result in some over cooked flavorless meat.

Back