What does everyone use for a temp controller on your smokers?

ME!!!! Well the teen's too a point lately at my direction:wink:

Aubers. Work great for overnights or if you have other things going on while you are cooking. Set and forget with no worries.

I recently invested in two Auber controllers. I tried one of them on my 18 1/2" WSM this past Saturday night without much luck. I think the problem was with the user, instead of the tool. I am going to spend some time it this weekend when I cook on the 18 1/2" WSM, while I use the other on the burn in on the new 22 1/2" WSM. Hopefully with some practice, I will get to where I trust the controller to do my job, while I sleep :shocked:

PS: Trust me, there is nothing wrong with the tool :icon_smile_tongue: :icon_smile_tongue: :icon_smile_tongue:

Vents on the WSM's...and just push the button on the MAKs...:cool:

DigiQ DX for overnighters and beef jerky. It's all about getting sleep and not having to worry what's going on with the fire at 3:00 in the morning.
Great for controlling really low temp (165 degrees) for beef jerky.

Haven't bought one... not a requirement.

Am not trying to bust your bubble... the first task on the learning curve is to master a fire management technique without a secondary electronic device. A consistent fire technique should be the foundation of every cook you will encounter.

Here's why... that device (and you) will be dependent on a power source. What will happen if the device malfunctions, lose power and fail for any reason?
What will be your plan B?

Believe it or not... there are competitions (see the Go Naked event in Chambersburg, PA) which prohibits such devices.
Strictly only charcoal/wood fire and air vents only... no propane, pellets, or controllers - completely relying on a Pitmaster's skill.
http://www.gonakedbbq.com/html/f_a_q_.html
http://www.gonakedbbq.com/2013_-_Rules_.pdf

Last edited:
If you know your pit , you don't need any electronics. A real pit master dose not need any electronic or powered fans. It all about knowledge of your pit and meat you are cooking. All come in time. The more you cook the easier it gets.

Haven't bought one... not a requirement.

Am not trying to bust your bubble... the first task on the learning curve is to master a fire management technique without a secondary electronic device. A consistent fire technique should be the foundation of every cook you will encounter.

Here's why... that device (and you) will be dependent on a power source. What will happen if the device malfunctions, lose power and fail for any reason?
What will be your plan B?

Believe it or not... there are competitions (see the Go Naked event in Chambersburg, PA) which prohibits such devices.
Strictly only charcoal/wood fire and air vents only... no propane, pellets, or controllers - completely relying on a Pitmaster's skill.
http://www.gonakedbbq.com/html/f_a_q_.html

I agree fully. You can't use one well until after you've learned how to control the fire manually. If you haven't learned your smoker, you'll make the same mistakes with the controller.

But, I have to admit that controllers are fun shiny toys. We all like shiny toys. But, these are nice for the overnight cooks if there are big outdoor temp changes or it starts raining or such. They also help you sleep if you're paranoid something will happen and can't sleep.

So, shouldn't be needed, but are fun.

Thanks everyone for your replies

The reason I was going to buy one was for when I cook for longer cooks. I heard they have wi-fi temp controllers that will allow me to leave home and check my temps on my phone while I am gone for 5 to 10 hours. Not sure if any one has experience with these.

Thanks.

my first three cooks I tended all the time and was constantly checking temps and fighting it.....then got the Maverick wireless thermometer so I could sit inside and monitor meat and grill both...set alarms...timers...etc. Thought I would get a guru too later...now I am not sure as the Meadow Creek PR42 maintains temps pretty damn good....and being able to see the slight up and down fluctuations I am a much less stressed smoker/cook now with it than before.
I like being able to see what it is doing without lifting lid or relying on built in mechanical temp gauge.

where I could see it useful is for a long overnight hog....but only after I had used it and tested it enough to trust it completely. :)

I have a Stoker. While I love it, as many have already stated, I do not use it much. But when it comes in handy, it is really worth it.

What prompted me to get it was my daughter's graduation from college. We planned a party after the ceremony and I was making pulled pork. The ceremony lasted longer than I had anticipated and I was squirming in my seat wondering how the meat was doing.

Today, with my Stoker, I can check the meat temperature and alter the pit temperature from anywhere in the world. If I had had it at my daughter's graduation, I would have just pulled out my cell phone, checked the temperature and if it was getting too done, just lower the pit temperature. I would have been more relaxed during her special day.

I went with the stoker as well. Aside from being a gadget guru and lover of any tool, the piece of mind knowing this thing is running and I can continue sleeping or working is great. While I agree with many of the pitmasters here that you should be able to control your pit without the need for such devices, the glee of sleeping or adjusting while physically absent is awesome. And worrying about it after 6-8 hours is a different story at least for me.

Add to that the temp monitoring of the food and ability to chart a cook and see whats actually going on during a cook, and save the historical data for future reference and its an easy sell for me. But it does come at a cost, and I do believe the egg does very well with out it. As with any tool, it serves a purpose and makes thing easier at a price. I can saw a two by four in half with a hand saw but my 12 inch sliding compound miter does it much better. I still know how to use the hand saw, but I love power.

There are many options available so you just have to figure out what you can afford and how you intend to use it. Good luck with your decision. Took me 3 weeks of waffling. Ha ha.

I've build a controller myself from anPID controller, a fan and a thermocouple. It was quite easy and cost me abou $50.

I use it for my catering and comps on a bastard egg, just put it on and forget about it!

Ideal when you have to do a lot of things at the same time...

I have an iQue110, prior to last Saturday night I haven't used it in probably a year. It's not really necessary with an egg. My gasket is leaking pretty bad these days though so my overnight cooks haven't been as steady as usual so I gave it a shot. It held 225* for 14 hours straight. So if you really want a controller for your egg and don't want to spend a ton of money the iQue might be the ticket for you.

The reason I was going to buy one was for when I cook for longer cooks. I heard they have wi-fi temp controllers that will allow me to leave home and check my temps on my phone while I am gone for 5 to 10 hours. Not sure if any one has experience with these.

Thanks.

So if you have a wi-fi one and it tells you your temps are either high or low, and you're gone for 5-10 hours, what good does it do? Probably not the best idea leaving any kind of cooker unattended to the point where, if there's a problem, you aren't there to deal with it.

I have a wifi cyberq for my backwoods, and really like it. It has recently broken and I have no problems keeping the temps, but it seems much more fuel effecient when I use it. This could be my imagination, but a bag of coals seems to last a lot longer when I use than when I don't.

So if you have a wi-fi one and it tells you your temps are either high or low, and you're gone for 5-10 hours, what good does it do? Probably not the best idea leaving any kind of cooker unattended to the point where, if there's a problem, you aren't there to deal with it.

That is the big benefit. If you are gone, you can still monitor and adjust the temperature of the pit. I have been away from home, checked the temperature of the meat, decided it was getting done too fast, so I dropped the temperature setting for the pit by 25 degrees. All via my iPhone. It is like being there without having to be there. With some software, you can even program it to automatically lower the pit temperature when the meat hits a predefined setting.

Back