MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason
Default What cut of beef?

So this is supposedly a beef clod. I guess I was thinking something more closely resembling a steamship so this somewhat surprised me.

My neighbor bought it at the local butcher and brought it over to me.

Is this a typical looking clod or something else? Looks almost like an overgrown brisket.

I want to cook it like roast beef at high heat and internal of ~130ish, but I also want it to be tender!

jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
posey's_pork_pit
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like a beef shoulder to me. I cook mine for pulled beef ~ never tried cooking it like a roast ~ good luck!

Smokey Joe Silver w/wooden handle a.k.a. Mini Me, Weber Smokey Joe Platinum date code ER

Sipsey: Secret's in the sauce.
posey's_pork_pit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Ditto on cooking it to be pulled. A beef shoulder clod is where chuck roasts come from (among other things). Kind'a tough and needs to be cooked slow and low for a long while. IMHO, I've had the best results cooking beef shoulders like pork shoulders. For the beef I keep them in the smoke till they hit 165º then wrap with some beef consume and continue cooking until they fall apart.

Good luck!

[URL="https://www.oakridgebbq.com"][B][U][SIZE="3"]~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~[/SIZE][/U][/B][/URL]

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've never cooked a whole one - I cut them up into the general components mainly so I can get the whole chuck-eye for steaks.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I cook clod like brisket. Here is a lettuce wrap a made last time I cooked one. The meat can be used for BBQ sandwiches, in soups, chili, stir fries, with eggs, etc.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
buffalotom
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmike View Post
Ditto on cooking it to be pulled. A beef shoulder clod is where chuck roasts come from (among other things). Kind'a tough and needs to be cooked slow and low for a long while. IMHO, I've had the best results cooking beef shoulders like pork shoulders. For the beef I keep them in the smoke till they hit 165º then wrap with some beef consume and continue cooking until they fall apart.

Good luck!
Ditto,
I cooked 100 lbs for my son's wedding just that way and people not only raved about it, they wanted to know where they could buy it prepared like that.
buffalotom is offline   Reply With Quote