MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

Arrow A few fatty questions

I'm thinking about doing my first fatty for the superbowl. I have a few questions that I haven't come across answers to while searching.

If I do 2lbs of sausage, seasoned with bbq rub, roll it with onions, jalapenos and cheese, and cover it with weaved bacon, about how long am I looking to cook it?

I assume I should have a thermometer in there to make sure the inside gets to reasonable temperature?

I was going to serve it sliced with BBQ sauce.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
that's hot
On the road to being a farker

165 internal temp

char griller & side firebox
weber 22.5 kettle
custom built brute
UDS
super fast Cheetah Thermapen
that's hot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i dunno, maybe 165*ish? i just pull it when i have a nice bark.

i'd suggest a nekkid 1 pounder and a wrapped 1 pounder.

it's nice to see what au natural can do.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

What temp you cooking at?
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
What temp you cooking at?
Typical smoke-- 250

Old 02-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Should be done in about three hours then.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
jlane
Full Fledged Farker

I've got a question myself. I made my first two fatties the other week. One naked and one wrapped with cheddar and peppers. I rolled it out between two sheets of wax paper and when I went to roll it back up, it stuck to the wax paper and looked horrible when done. How do you keep the sausage from sticking? Thanks.
jlane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
MarleyMan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlane View Post
I've got a question myself. I made my first two fatties the other week. One naked and one wrapped with cheddar and peppers. I rolled it out between two sheets of wax paper and when I went to roll it back up, it stuck to the wax paper and looked horrible when done. How do you keep the sausage from sticking? Thanks.

MarleyMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
GARNAAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I use sheets of plastic wrap on top of my sushi mat - works like a champ..
GARNAAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

A few weeks back I did three one pounders and it took about about an hour and a half.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #11
musman
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Any reason I shouldn't prep my fatty today for a cook tomorrow? Need the extra time so I can watch the big match before the big game.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #12
MarleyMan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by musman View Post
Any reason I shouldn't prep my fatty today for a cook tomorrow? Need the extra time so I can watch the big match before the big game.
No that's fine, I actually prefer to make mine ahead of time and place it in the fridge to firm up.

As mentioned above sushi mats are great to help when rolling.

If you have any silicone baking mats (or something else similar) it helps when making them and keeping everything even when rolling it back up.
I just roll mine with the silicone mats and then place on plastic wrap. I spray the mat lightly with pam or olive oil to help with release if needed.
MarleyMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Roll it out in a gallon zip lock bag. Then cut the edges of the bag to open it up. You can keep a nice square shape this way and it shouldn't stick.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by musman View Post
I see no reason you can't, unless you are going to stuff it with something that would get funky in that amount of time. I love em' naked though, it only takes 2 minutes to take it out of the package, hit it with rub and onto the smoke!

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fatty