• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
New from Nashville TN; UDS project started

I got some of the hard stuff out of the way today. I work on the lid fit up to the rim of the drum, and got that fit I wanted without having it jam or stick on there from being too tight.

Welded up my expanded metal charcoal pot, which is 10"h x 15" across diameter, welded to the Weber Charcoal grate. I had the small piece of expanded metal for the bottom and cut it to fit. I likey. It should keep the original grate from disintegrating away on me. I didn't have very much scrap expanded metal after the pot build was finished. I bent the bottom of the expanded metal out to form a flat lip to make it easier to weld onto the inside the edge of the Weber grate. The barrel end I cut out is still a work in progress, I still need to do some more beating on it. I have a cut down tree with a stump about that size, I may get my chain saw and do a little free hand carving on the stump. Once I do that I should be able to beat $ell out of it so I can bend the edges more into a high sided pan. I plan for it to set on the floor, with the spacer bolts holding the charcoal pot bottom at 2" for it. I'll also have a All thread coming from the grate bottom with a formed hook on it for me to hook it and get it up out of there.

Did the burn out, and it should be just clean the remaining paint off repaint with high heat paint. I'll clean out the inside a little, to get any of the fire soot out.

I think other than these photo's, that is it for now

Attachments

• cleaning the lid.jpg
    cleaning the lid.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 776
  • beat the rim.jpg
    beat the rim.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 775
  • expanded metal bottom.jpg
    expanded metal bottom.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 775
  • ash pan in progress.jpg
    ash pan in progress.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 771
  • not much scrap.jpg
    not much scrap.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 773
  • tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 777
  • burn out started.jpg
    burn out started.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 776
  • beginning to peel paint.jpg
    beginning to peel paint.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 773
  • burning the paint.jpg
    burning the paint.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 770
  • hot fire today.jpg
    hot fire today.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 773
Do you reall you really need to use a ball valve? What about just putting some holes at the bottem that can be adjusted for air flow work just as good if not better?

Another question is, can you create an opening on the side of the barrell to add fuel if you use some type of gasket to ensure that it's air tight? If that's not a good idea how do you add fuel to the fire when you are on a long burn? Do you have to take out the meat to get to the firebox to add fuel?

Do you reall you really need to use a ball valve? What about just putting some holes at the bottem that can be adjusted for air flow work just as good if not better?

Another question is, can you create an opening on the side of the barrell to add fuel if you use some type of gasket to ensure that it's air tight? If that's not a good idea how do you add fuel to the fire when you are on a long burn? Do you have to take out the meat to get to the firebox to add fuel?

Ya can't get much easier than a ball valve. I can get 16-18 hrs out of a full basket-how much loner burn do you need?

A ball valve makes it easy to meter your air intake. You don't have to install one.....it could be as simple as using a magnet over the hole(s) to control air flow.

Got My Drum

Hello All

After spending a week reading the entire thread I had to build myself a UDS. After searching CL and finding only red lined very beat up drums I ended up getting a reconditioned drum from Sunwest for $36 bucks. They let me go through a ton of barrels to find a good one. Man I cannot believe the weight difference between drums. Went with the heaviest one I could find. Also ended up getting a full sheet of expanded #9 after seeing the ridiculous prices for that 18 gauge stuff at home depot. Anyway I will continue to post pics of the build as I go along. And yea that is a little blood on top of the drum..always wear gloves with that expanded…

barrelsmall.jpg

How long does the fuel last in the USD?

Also how does the USD hold Temp lets say 225° How many vents do you need? I'm thinking 4 around the btm of the drum. What do you use for a sealant?

Instead of ball valves can you put vent on the btm of the drum?

Do you need to have a gasket around the top?

Also how does the USD hold Temp lets say 225° How many vents do you need? I'm thinking 4 around the btm of the drum. What do you use for a sealant?

Dude, all of your questions have been answered already. Read the thread and you will be the Yoda of UDSs

Just thought I'd tell you all that i finally found a supplier for some unlined drums, albeit there painted on the inside. Figured i could just weed burn them inside and out then paint em up. Delivery charge is a bit of a bummer though. £12 each for the drums sounds good. With delivery it works out at around 24ish a drum, going to buy a few and eventually sort a few mates out....maybe ;-)
Roll on payday, can't wait :)

Here is another UDS thread. First post is a decent tutorial http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43943&highlight=redneck

Don't bother with the hole cutter - the step bit works fine for the 1" hole (harbor freight is your friend for cheep step bits). Don't bother welding it - use conduit nuts, they will thread on the nipples just fine (one on each side will tighten things up nicely). You may not even need them (YMMV), but I did.

If you use dry charcoal - usually you only have the caps removed to light the fire, and work with a fraction of one hole (the one with the valve) to fine tune the fire. If you charcoal is at all damp, you will probably need to remove 1 cap as well.

Generally a full basket of charcoal will give you over 14 hours of burn time - which is enough for pretty much any bbq. I have probably done somewhat longer by cooking multiple meals on the same burn (my record was almost a 24 hr burn - lunch (burgers), dinner (pulled pork and abt's), then an overnight brisket for lunch the next day. My set up is different though in that I am VERY frugal with my charcoal. I have a single centered and baffled intake that is attached to a fan and a digital thermostat. This is my second UDS, the first was fully traditional.

When people mention "full basket of briquettes" are we talking about dumping a whole 20 lb bag of charcoal into the basket as most UDS baskets can easily hold that much plus more?
UDS newbies would like to know...:))

When people mention "full basket of briquettes" are we talking about dumping a whole 20 lb bag of charcoal into the basket as most UDS baskets can easily hold that much plus more?
UDS newbies would like to know...:))

I think they are talking about 10#

Dude, all of your questions have been answered already. Read the thread and you will be the Yoda of UDSs

I have read 259 pages, I wanted to scoop out my eyes.. Just last night I was up till 1am reading. I just wanted some direct answers so i can start mine.

sent from phone.

Got my UDS up and running today for the first time. Two chickens stuffed with onions and apples, corn on the cob and some modified turds. :) Can't wait for dinner tonight!

So far, one chimney of coals has held 275 for 3.5 hours with plenty left. Haven't had to touch it a single time after the initial setup! This thing is going to make smoking too easy. My wife might think she could do it. LOL

DSC_7338.jpg

This is a link to my facebook for a photo of todays meal...not sure it will work. Let me know if you guys can see it.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...409305323136_787473135_10756306_4556623_n.jpg

I read 4965 posts on 331 pages. I have no questions. My eyeballs are bleeding. My brain is mush I'll be back later.

I'm on a mission!!!!

Back