A cheap idea for an ashpan for a UDS

T

Thirsty4Q

I notice there are a lot of UDS builds here, (mine very recently as well). One of things I have been having a tough time with is getting something the right size to use as an ashpan. So I was at a local restaurant supply store (for us here in western mass it is Kittredge) and found a deep dish pizza pan. It is 17" in diameter and 1" deep with perfect 90 degree walls. So now I can let the ash fall on that, then once cooled, just reach in and grab the edge with a pair of vicegrips, and take it right out to dump. :-D

My charcoal basket I also upgraded by placing a 14" expanded metal pizza tray in the bottom. The expanded metal I used for the basket is small enough so fresh charcoal would not fall through, but 1/2 charred charcoal will fall through with just a little shake, this now allows me to recycle a bit longer.

The pizza pan was $12.74, and the pizza tray was $4.75. So well worth it. Now, does the bottom of a charcoal basket NEED to be perforated for airflow? I was just thinking if new builders need to make a basket easily, you could take one of these deep dish pizza pans, and just screw the sidewalls of a basket right to the already existing 1" flange sidewalls that the pan provides. Or maybe do the same thing and just drill sevral holes in the pan. Either way it could be an easy beginning to building a basket, and they make these ranging from like 9"-20" in 1" increments, pricing from $8-15.

Just thought I would share some ideas! :thumb:

Those are great ideas, thanks for sharing.

I have considered some kind of pan to attach to the bottom of my firebox so that when I lift the firebox out, most the the ash also comes out because the ashpan is attached to the bottom of the firebox.

I used an aluminum pan that is normally used underneath your water heater. It was like 20 or 22" wide (just small enough to fit between the grill holders) and has a nice hole to dump out the ash.

pan.jpg

I recently saw this in my local store for $14. I'm thinking of flipping the grill holders upside down to use as legs to get the pan off the ground a bit, and using the grill grate as the base to attach the expanded metal.

portablegrill.jpg

Just found this. It might be perfect. Amazon.com: Kay Home Products 18' Rnd Table Top Grill 116Hh Portable Grill: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/11puiZDr4DL.@@AMEPARAM@@11puiZDr4DL

tabletopportablegrill.jpg

Last edited:
Every firebox I build has a pizza pan, with space to collect ashes, bolted to the bottom. Then to handle, we bolt a eyehook in the middle to allow picking up with tools or hand when cooled. Steve.

Honestly, the pizza pan from Walmart for $3 is hard to beat. It doesn't have raised edges obviously but this also allows you to empty it without having to tip the basket completely over. Besides, you are always gonna get ash outside of your pan anyway.

I notice there are a lot of UDS builds here, (mine very recently as well). One of things I have been having a tough time with is getting something the right size to use as an ashpan. So I was at a local restaurant supply store (for us here in western mass it is Kittredge) and found a deep dish pizza pan. It is 17" in diameter and 1" deep with perfect 90 degree walls. So now I can let the ash fall on that, then once cooled, just reach in and grab the edge with a pair of vicegrips, and take it right out to dump. :-D

My charcoal basket I also upgraded by placing a 14" expanded metal pizza tray in the bottom. The expanded metal I used for the basket is small enough so fresh charcoal would not fall through, but 1/2 charred charcoal will fall through with just a little shake, this now allows me to recycle a bit longer.

The pizza pan was $12.74, and the pizza tray was $4.75. So well worth it. Now, does the bottom of a charcoal basket NEED to be perforated for airflow? I was just thinking if new builders need to make a basket easily, you could take one of these deep dish pizza pans, and just screw the sidewalls of a basket right to the already existing 1" flange sidewalls that the pan provides. Or maybe do the same thing and just drill sevral holes in the pan. Either way it could be an easy beginning to building a basket, and they make these ranging from like 9"-20" in 1" increments, pricing from $8-15.

Just thought I would share some ideas! :thumb:

How about sharing some pics?

Back