• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Easy Side Dishes

NebraskaBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm going to be cooking for a graduation party for a family member this weekend. It's a pretty small gathering, probably fewer than 20 people. I'm planning on making a few pork butts and some ribs, but I have no idea where to start with sides. Usually when I cook for my family I just take care of the meat, and if we even bother with sides then they come straight from the grocery store or a box. I was hoping somone could recommend a couple of easy to make side dishes. Thanks in advance.

hog apple baked beans are always a big hit. recipe is here somewhere, do a search?

- Corn on the cob
- Baked beans
- Potato salad
- Cole slaw (gotta try cowgirl's Chipotle slaw)
- Grilled veggies
- Pasta
- Grilled bread

Mashed Pototoes
Baked potaotoes
are easy...easier than trying to spell pototoe...lol

This is not for a big group (unless you have a big frier), but I really love french fries with my Q. Hot Sauce Williams in Cleveland serves theirs with a big spoon of sauce on top and I have been that way ever since

dry rub ribs, wet fries, and a slice of white bread to clean up the plate

We supplemented the Q by smoking Salmon Mexican bullets and baked Brie for appetizers last weekend and all 3 were gone in a matter of minutes.
CIMG0498.JPG

cracker barrel hash brown casserole is always a favorite, easy to make ahead of time. just google for the recipe and you'll find plenty of results t

Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (27 oz) cans Bush's Baked Beans
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)

1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage (a maple fattie is good)
1 can apple pie filling, pieces somewhat chopped up
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)Cooking Instructions:Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

Simplest (and one of the best) sides I make is mashed yams.

Basically, everything is by taste.

Roast yams with skin on, and peel when soft.
Mash, and add butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon (all to taste). Allspice is also a nice addtion in small amounts.

Can be made ahead of time and heated just prior to serving.

Good luck!

Back