• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How much meat???

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
How much meat do you cook when competing in a competition? Last year (our first) we cooked two competitions and did 3 butts, 1 brisket, 20 or so pieces of chicken and 3 racks of ribs.

This year I think I will do 2 butts, 2 briskets, 20-25 pieces of chicken and 3-4 racks of ribs. It got me to wondering how much others do.

You can probably find a lot of differing opinions if you use the search on this. Money is one object. I usually do one brisket, two to three butts, 4 to 6 ribs, and about 20-24 thighs. We are what I would consider a low budget team.

We do on occasion cook more than that and pick the best. To make extra funds to spread the cost we try to take orders for bbq before we get there. I figure if we have the fires lit and it does not get too carried away it helps.

larry

That's about right. Unless you have a lot of testers and help you'll have problems deciding which is best to turn in. I usually only cook 12 pcs of chicken for competition ( the best out of 24-30 pcs). The rest I practice on Friday noon and night for lunch and supper. I usually buy 9 racks of ribs ( cook the best 3), 2 out of 4 briskets and 2 out of 4 butts. The rest I use for practice between contests.

We used to bring a LOT of meat, on the lines of what you are suggesting.

Now we bring 2 brisket flats, 2 butts, 12 chicken thighs and 3 racks of ribs.

We are on the same lines, used to do only 1 packer, now we do 2 (that way I don't have to cook during the week), 6 racks of ribs, 2 Butts, sometimes a shoulder, and 12-16 pieces of chicken (again, no cooking the following week).

With three teens in the house, there is not a whole lot of leftovers.:lol:

I have only done a few comps myself but I have been doing 1 15-16lb packer, 2-3 butts(depending on how many people I have showing up) 3-racks of ribs and 16 pieces of chicken. pretty much what everyone else has said.

Cook for the contest only. (IMO) You are there to compete. Unless you have 'real' help, don't cook more than what you need to. You can feed Guests at your house.

I cook 2 briskets, 2 butts, 16 thighs (more or less, depending on how good they are) and 3 racks of ribs. Each time, everytime.

There have been threads on here where competitors say they are cutting back on the amount of meat cooked as a way to afford to continue competing in this economy.

We do 3-4 racks of ribs, 12-14 pieces of chicken, 2 butts and 2 briskets. We sometimes do more if we are cooking for others. A problem with doing a lot of meat is trying to pick the best one.

2 butts
2 briskets
3-4 racks of ribs (depending on where I buy and how they are packed)
12 or so chicken thighs (again, depending on where I buy and how they are packed)

20 pieces chicken average
2 butts
2 st louis racks ribs
1 brisket. We used to cook 2 but we feel 2 bad briskets isnt much better then 1 bad brisket.

2 or 3 butts
2 briskets
12-16 thighs (I buy 20 - 24 & take the best)
4 ribs (usually I buy 6 depending on how they are packed)

Tom

2 or 3 butts
2 briskets
12-16 thighs (I buy 20 - 24 & take the best)
4 ribs (usually I buy 6 depending on how they are packed)

Tom

Hey Tom. Howzit goin mang?
That's about exactly what we do.
Hope yall are havin' a good 2009 so far.

Cheers!
Chris

We normally do 2 packers, 2 butts, 4 St. Louis slabs and 20-25 pieces of chicken...

I actually have customers that want meat from the contest... Don't ask my why, so if they want it, I have no problem putting on extra for them... If they are willing to pay for the 'privilege' of having contest meat, I have no problem taking their money...

2 butts, 2 packers, 3 slabs of ribs and 12 pieces of chicken. Every contest I cook. I don't cook extra for guests. If the leftovers run out to feed guests, oh well. I'm not a restaurant... I'm a competiton cook.

We are right along the lines as the rest. 2 briskets, 2 butts, 20 thighs, 4-6 racks of spares. the more ribs the better cause I can screw 'em up good sometimes.:eek: Good to have extra to pick through.

Chris

I do two packers, two butts, 3 slabs of ribs and 12-16 pieces of chicken. The way I'm set up, any more food will just complicate things and probably reduce the quality of the end product.

I will share my leftovers with friends/family that show up, but I certainly would not cook more food for them. As I do it, I have plenty of leftovers, especially with brisket and pork.

Well I guess I am cutting back to 2 butts this year. I just enjoyed having enough to feed the people I had coming up. On my setup 2 or 3 butts makes no difference. Just an extra $12

Back