MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #31
Bubba
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offthehook View Post
What a cliffhanger, care to share?
You will have to take my cooking class to find out. It's really not that hard.

I was Can Cooking when Can Cooking wasn't Cool
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #32
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
He's right.. not hard at all, and can be done consistently too. More than one technique. I'll be showing this in my class this weekend.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #33
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Why do some people on here respond "take my class to find out" to specific process questions? Why answer at all?

I find it totally rude to cryptically answer a specific question, then pimp a class when asked to elaborate. I wish I could go back 15 years ago when we all shared info with each other and there were no expectations of payment

No offense meant y'all, I just miss the old days.

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-26-2014, 03:23 PM   #34
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post
Why do some people on here respond "take my class to find out" to specific process questions? Why answer at all?

I find it totally rude to cryptically answer a specific question, then pimp a class when asked to elaborate. I wish I could go back 15 years ago when we all shared info with each other and there were no expectations of payment

What I find slightly irritating, is that this question is asked more than a few times a year. A simple search on this site has the answers. And yes, I've answered it before too. Probably more than once. Bite thru chicken skin is the ABT question of the 21st century. Besides, the class I am teaching at, I am making absolutely no money from, and as a matter of fact, it's costing me money to do this free class. And, I am one of those guys you kind of indirectly bashed awhile back about how some of us who just sit in our trailers at a contest, and only care about the competing, and not there to EDUCATE the public, people like me will ruin this "sport".. etc.. etc.. I've personally have done a hell of a lot, more than my fair share of helping out others, on a more personal level than on a forum. Also, I've gotten tired of helping people out by personal messaging them on these forums, and most of the time, not even getting a simple "thank you".. So, screw it, unless it's a pretty unique question that spurs debate on this forum and causes me to think and to even get something out myself, then yes, I'll chime in. Until then, I'll still help out those I want to help or want my help, and choose not brag about how much I am educating, paying it forward or whatever people choose to call it.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #35
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Podge I cant speak for TSTP and I dont want to, and you have helped people out with questions. So for that I will say THANK YOU. ..But i will say i also kinda see where TSTP is coming from on this. Not all members that ask questions here have bben here for a while so they dont know whether something has been asked or not. Yes you are right also about the search, but again not all know how to use it.

When i was a new member I had read on several postings someone asking questions like can someone tell me how to do......., and one particular member saying "NO". My personal opinion was WTF why even answer. That made me afraid to post anything for a while, now you cant get me to shut up.

So I do see where TSTP is coming from, whether someone is making money or not. If someone has a legitimate question I guess I think it should be answered or maybe not commented on at all.

As to the OP and his question uncovered Foil pan in butter at 275* for an hour, then cover foil pan for another 45 minutes works for me....But my chicken scores are hit and miss

Old 02-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #36
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Yes, you're right Fat Freddy, I shouldn't have commented at all. But, if you think about it, there's several comments on every topic that does not pertain to the main topic.. Including this one.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #37
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
I understand, my chicken did well at my first comp, just trying to find ways others are doing it. Thanks

Old 02-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #38
Firefighter
Full Fledged Farker

I asked that question last week and I for one am glad he asked the question again because he actually got the answers that I was looking for. I really appreciate all the answers and techniques that were given. I thought that this was a forum to ask questions, talk about BBQ, chat and possibly help one another out. I have heard a couple of people say they are tired of answering the questions that have already been asked and to use the search feature to find past threads. I think all that does is Make people feel like they shouldn't post anything at all. I would like to say thanks for all for the responses to the original question.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #39
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post

#1 Many people have spent lots of time and money practicing to find the answer and or paid for a class to find out the answers. Lots of new members wander in and want a free class out of the competition section. It's one thing to help out people in Q-talk with getting their backyard Q just right. It's another to come in and ask how to do everything in the comp section. I've helped plenty of people with what they should do to get ready for their first comp, helped plenty of new teams at comps, given away supplies, etc. I'm all for help but at some point there's a line IMO. Podge probably doesn't remember it but right before I first started competing I asked him where he bought his meat because he is a local team. He politely answered the question but many of his friends heckled me pretty good over it and honestly they probably should have. At some point it is a competition and you are there to win. There's asking for help and then there is wanting a free pass to go to the front of the line.

#2 Out of respect to those that offer classes I think it's wrong to go around and tell everyone what you learned while there.

Now that I've said this, chicken skin has been covered plenty of times and a simple search would have taken care of the question. If you can't search I believe it's because you didn't bother to donate to the site or you are to new. Either way you haven't paid your dues IMO.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #40
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
I have heard a couple of people say they are tired of answering the questions that have already been asked and to use the search feature to find past threads. I think all that does is Make people feel like they shouldn't post anything at all. I would like to say thanks for all for the responses to the original question.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/se...archid=2755160

Old 02-26-2014, 05:10 PM   #41
jimmypop
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Sauce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
Temp doesn't matter. It's the braising that works. Cook it however you want (bath/no bath, oil/no oil, grill or not) but finish by sealing it in a pan with the skin up does the trick. How long it needs to be cooked when sealed depends on the temp you cook at - lower temps take longer. Just make sure it's a tight seal.
This all makes sense but I have a follow up question from a new comp cook.

No one mentioned saucing. Im guessing you're pulling them from the foiled pan and saucing them and then putting them back on the pit to set the sauce?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #42
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop View Post

No one mentioned saucing. Im guessing you're pulling them from the foiled pan and saucing them and then putting them back on the pit to set the sauce?
I dip, some brush and its put back on the cooker. Some people dont go back on the cooker.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:56 PM   #43
FatCoyote
is one Smokin' Farker

Lube up the bird, cook at 350+ and you should be good to go... I do it all the time in my offset and don't have any problems with skin, unless I have used those water added birds.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:07 PM   #44
Firefighter
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon Barrel BBQ View Post
#1 Many people have spent lots of time and money practicing to find the answer and or paid for a class to find out the answers. Lots of new members wander in and want a free class out of the competition section. It's one thing to help out people in Q-talk with getting their backyard Q just right. It's another to come in and ask how to do everything in the comp section. I've helped plenty of people with what they should do to get ready for their first comp, helped plenty of new teams at comps, given away supplies, etc. I'm all for help but at some point there's a line IMO. Podge probably doesn't remember it but right before I first started competing I asked him where he bought his meat because he is a local team. He politely answered the question but many of his friends heckled me pretty good over it and honestly they probably should have. At some point it is a competition and you are there to win. There's asking for help and then there is wanting a free pass to go to the front of the line.
#2 Out of respect to those that offer classes I think it's wrong to go around and tell everyone what you learned while there.

Now that I've said this, chicken skin has been covered plenty of times and a simple search would have taken care of the question. If you can't search I believe it's because you didn't bother to donate to the site or you are to new. Either way you haven't paid your dues IMO.
Gotta say I respect everything you said, you are right. I never really thought about it like that. I do think that asking a Question again should be ok because things change all the time and maybe someone has a better idea or method or solution that was never covered before in an earlier thread. Sorry guys I didn't mean any disrespect.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #45
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop View Post

Yes, that's right.

I don't mind answering. I have answered this and other questions more than once, and will probably do so again. I'm not taking away anything from people teaching classes - it's a basic technique. I'm not putting my whole program on here.

Also: I think that except for contest results, almost everything pertaining to BBQ has already been discussed here. Yeah, you could search for it - but a forum with no new posts would be kind of boring, no?

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bite thru skin, chicken, chicken skin