MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #16
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Burnt ends are a Kansas City thing. Years ago Arthur Bryant's used to chop the scrap, overcooked, hard exterior pieces of brisket and serve them for free to customers waiting in line. The meat was thought to be too overcooked or tough to charge customers for it. At some point, people started calling those morsels burnt ends. There was also a short supply because only the scrap portions of briskets that couldn't be eaten without chopping first were served for free. It soon got to a point that people were asking for burnt ends. So, Arthur Bryant decided to start charging customers for it.

Today, restaurants cut the "point" or "deckle" portion of briskets in to cubes after cooking the brisket whole. Then, they either add more rub or sauce or both to the cubes and put them back in the smoker for a couple of hours and then serve them as "burnt ends." But, today's burnt ends are not what was originally served.

All that being said, Aaron Franklin's burnt ends are like what was originally served at Arthur Bryant's BBQ in Kansas City. Aaron removes the outer portions of brisket that are overcooked, coarsely chops them and serves them on his "Tipsy Texan" sandwich. He serves the "point" portion of brisket in slices just as he does the "flat" portion. The point portion he calls "fatty" brisket and the "flat" portion he calls "lean" brisket. This is because the point has a higher fat content and a lot more beefy flavor than the flat.

Nowadays, this is how I eat the brisket point (deckle). It's the choicest part that I dig into first.

No fake KC burnt ends for me.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #17
gtr

^^^think those'll hold up in the mail?
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #18
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Heck Guys, I have not tried it yet. BIL and SIL came over on my last briskit cook and we all had to point tore up and ate before I could even consider it. ;D

Still want to try it though.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #19
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp View Post
Hey..I just found a meat market that sells points...my next cook will be a couple of points...one to slice and one to make burnt-ends.

Anybody else just cook a point.

i'd be all over that if it was a decent price!

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #20
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Burnt ends are a Kansas City thing. Years ago Arthur Bryant's used to chop the scrap, overcooked, hard exterior pieces of brisket and serve them for free to customers waiting in line. The meat was thought to be too overcooked or tough to charge customers for it. At some point, people started calling those morsels burnt ends. There was also a short supply because only the scrap portions of briskets that couldn't be eaten without chopping first were served for free. It soon got to a point that people were asking for burnt ends. So, Arthur Bryant decided to start charging customers for it.

Today, restaurants cut the "point" or "deckle" portion of briskets in to cubes after cooking the brisket whole. Then, they either add more rub or sauce or both to the cubes and put them back in the smoker for a couple of hours and then serve them as "burnt ends." But, today's burnt ends are not what was originally served.

All that being said, Aaron Franklin's burnt ends are like what was originally served at Arthur Bryant's BBQ in Kansas City. Aaron removes the outer portions of brisket that are overcooked, coarsely chops them and serves them on his "Tipsy Texan" sandwich. He serves the "point" portion of brisket in slices just as he does the "flat" portion. The point portion he calls "fatty" brisket and the "flat" portion he calls "lean" brisket. This is because the point has a higher fat content and a lot more beefy flavor than the flat.

Nowadays, this is how I eat the brisket point (deckle). It's the choicest part that I dig into first.

No fake KC burnt ends for me.
This picture is why I'll never do anything but slice my point. A thing of beauty!

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #21
BobM
Babbling Farker

I make burnt ends out of the point. Fake or not, where ever they originated, they are great!

Sent from my Android phone.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #22
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey Zizzel, reserve some of that point from your next brisket and make o pot of chilly.

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #23
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

I'm a point slicer now. The flat is for chili. Or ground up for hamburger. Took me 10 briskies or so before I figured out what was what.
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #24
tyotrain
is one Smokin' Farker

I love me some meat candy but I also love pulled point now that's some good stuff👍

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #25
thirdeye

I'm probably 50:50 on slicing the point or making burnt ends..... but all burnt ends are not the same.... I generally go for the traditional version like this.....

I'm okay for serving them dry and letting folks add sauce if they want, but sometimes other folks like the reduced sauce version, so I'll make those too. I guess I'm kind of a tell-me-what-you-like kind of barbecuist.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #26
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Honetly, I only buy and cook briskets so I can eat the point! Sliced, chopped, burnt ends, doesn't matter...so long as it's good, well cooked point meat!

The flat goes into chili, or the dog bowl, or something else. I don't do as many brisket leftovers any more, so I only eat the good stuff. No time for that other crap.

Really.....?

I do the opposite. I always save and cube the point for chili meat and slice and eat the flat. Never considered doing the opposite. I trim the fat off of the point meat the next day because big bites of fat in chili ain't good eats. Maybe putting the flat in the chili is the way to go? How does it hold up?

As far as burnt ends, I've done them only once at home and they ended up real salty. Our comp burnt ends always taste great and I bring home the leftovers so we usually have burnt ends and slices in vacuum bags.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #27
Birdie
On the road to being a farker

I'm new to smoking and even newer to cooking brisket. To be honest the first two briskets I've cooked I thought everyone was talking about the flat as what they made burnt ends out of. The point was the first thing I sliced and ate and I was like man that's good, the flats were good but I would rather eat the point and think it's way better. This Sunday's BBQ Pit Master show was where I realized it was the point they used to make burnt ends. Actually cut up some flat from my last brisket to make chili, no way I'm using point for anything else besides slicing and eating. :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Old 01-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #28
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Who sells points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp View Post
Hey..I just found a meat market that sells points...my next cook will be a couple of points...one to slice and one to make burnt-ends.

Anybody else just cook a point.
I live in KC... Just across the line from you. Haven't been able to find a butcher shop that has points... Bichelmeyers, in KCK said they could get a case of them but no one seems to have them ready to sell.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #29
Cloudsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Odd but wonderful timing Fo Sizzle. I had just reached the same conclusion this week (burnt ends good, flat meat dry) and was going to do the same this weekend. Thanks, bud.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #30
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Around here we save the brisket flats for the uneducated
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Honetly, I only buy and cook briskets so I can eat the point! Sliced, chopped, burnt ends, doesn't matter...so long as it's good, well cooked point meat!

The flat goes into chili, or the dog bowl, or something else. I don't do as many brisket leftovers any more, so I only eat the good stuff. No time for that other crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokp View Post
I'm a point slicer now. The flat is for chili. Or ground up for hamburger. Took me 10 briskies or so before I figured out what was what.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsmoker View Post
Odd but wonderful timing Fo Sizzle. I had just reached the same conclusion this week (burnt ends good, flat meat dry) and was going to do the same this weekend. Thanks, bud.

If the flat of brisket is so bad and nasty and tastes bad, why is brisket so popular, why does everybody cook it and why is it a major bbq category in comps? Seems crazy to cook expensive meat that you don't even like? I honestly don't cook much brisket, because the farking things are nearly $50 here for a 8 lb. packer. I can get four big boston butts or racks of ribs or several good steaks or two bottles of good bourbon for that price. So let me get this straight-y'all actually routinely cook a $50 piece of meat that you don't like, then feed 3/4 of it to the dogs or grind it up into burger when you can get burger meat that isn't dry and tasteless for a third of the price?

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote