MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
thaifighter06
On the road to being a farker

Default BGE Sizes?

Greetings!

I've decided on a BGE, but am struggling as to which size to get. I went to ACE yesterday and gave them all a once over, but would definitely love a 2nd or 42nd opinion. As of right now, it's just me and my wife, but we constantly cook for other people (parties, get togethers, Bears games (bear down)). Will the L GBE be L enough, or just do the XL? What's the realistic cooking space on the L? The website boasts 7 racks, 6 chx, just looking for first hand experience. Thanks!
thaifighter06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
TheBear
Full Fledged Farker

I have an xl and I like being able to fit 40 chicken parts on one level.

I know people have creative solutions for creating cooking spaces on the lg. I like having the flexibility of the xl.

That being said it comes down to how much you will be cooking on a regular basis.

On a weekly basis we are usually feeding more than the four of us. So an xl made sense for us.

Good luck!
TheBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

I have a large and find it to be kind of tight on space. I would recommend the XL.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

My first cooker was a medium BGE that i cooked on for years. Perfect size for 2 people. I sold the medium and upgraded to the large and am glad i did. If you entertain all the time, maybe an XL, but for everyday use with a few parties thrown in, the large would be my suggestion.

Paul

Old 08-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Allegry
Knows what a fatty is.

The biggest limiting factor with the large is the grate size. I've found that I really can't fit anything bigger than a 12lb packer brisket without more creative solutions. I can feed 20-25 pretty easily on my large, but to run a party for 40 I needed my BGE, kettle, and a buddies' ECB. If you're frequently entertaining 30+ I'd go for the XL and get a reducing ring for everyday use. Without it you're likely going to find that an XL is fuel inefficient for the small amount of food that two people will consume.

I do frequently entertain larger groups so I'm looking to add an XL.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
cirk
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskew82 View Post
i have a large and find it to be kind of tight on space. I would recommend the xl.

x 2!!!

Old 08-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
JasonATI
Got Wood.

I've posted pics before when I've fit 6 7lb boston butts on my large, with a $15 diy second level a large has always been big enough for me.
JasonATI is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
eggzlot
Take a breath!

like buying a TV, buy as big as you can afford and the space will allow. If you can afford the XL, and have the outdoor space, get it. I have an XL and I love the size/capacity. You'll find reasons to fill it up.
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
Gato Gordo
Knows what a fatty is.

There is always the option of buying two smaller eggs rather than just one larger egg. Having two eggs allow you to run two different temperatures, or cook direct and indirect at the same time.

I have a large and while it has always been large enough for us and our cooking needs, there have been times when I needed to use the propane grill just to get a different temperature, or to sear something quickly while continuing an indirect cook on the egg.
Gato Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

.xl.
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
Grabnabber
Babbling Farker

If you are regularly cooking for decent sized groups, get the XL and as mentioned previously, get a lump reducing ring for the small cooks or just use less charcoal and bank it to one side of the firebox when cooking for two people.

You're gonna love it no matter which one you pick. No better cooker for our winters, IMO.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
Dreggs
Full Fledged Farker

I have a small and regret the choice. A percentage of smalls have breathing problems, have difficulty reaching higher temperatures. Mine is one of them. High temps are desirable for cleanouts, pizza, and TRex. A High Que has partially solved this problem, but really high temps are still beyond it.
Dreggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

If you entertain a lot, get the XL. My wife, who was totally against the BGE at first, forced me to get the XL, stating that if we were gonna get the $*%& thing, then I better be able to feed groups off when we entertain.

She was so right. I have the spare second DIY grid, and I still run out of space at times when cooking for a group. Plus, when cooking the larger cuts, it's just nice to have the real estate. Are there work arounds for the Large? Sure. But then the same work arounds would yield an even greater area to work with on an XL.

I've never regretted the extra $$$ for the XL, not for a second.
SmokeFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
BettysNephew
Got Wood.

I have never heard of any Egger complain about having too much room because they bought the XL. I have heard complaints about not enough room on the smaller Eggs. A very few XL owners have griped about the amount of charcoal required to fill the XL, but most also say they get several burns out of one load, so is it truly a problem? I am extremely happy with my XL and if for some reason I need to reduce lump use, I will get one of the reducing rings.
BettysNephew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggzlot View Post
like buying a TV, buy as big as you can afford and the space will allow. If you can afford the XL, and have the outdoor space, get it. I have an XL and I love the size/capacity. You'll find reasons to fill it up.

These are my thoughts exactly. I was all set to get the L and I called at the last minute and changed my mind to the XL, best move I've made to date. I've never cooked on any other size egg so it's hard to say if it's a fuel hog in comparison. I will say I'm amazed at how much charcoal I am able to re-use after every cook.

There is a lot you can do with the various rack systems on a large, perhaps even more configurations than on an XL, but for me, I love the amount I can get on without having to do anything special (lazy guy mod). Last week I did 2-8lb. butts, a brisket flat and two NAKED fatties, with room to spare. If you cook in pans you can get 2 aluminum half pans in side by side, or 1 full size pan.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bge, size