work in progress

M

mjancel

just haven fun building my own pit... if it does not work this way i will be making it into a reverse flow.... but time will tell i stil have some work to do.. exhaust mainly

Attachments

• 0608101808.jpg
    0608101808.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 162
  • 0721101940.jpg
    0721101940.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 0726101533.jpg
    0726101533.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 160
  • 0528101718.jpg
    0528101718.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 160
  • l_c38a8fc0c2e544ba52ceca34de55ed9c[1].jpg
    l_c38a8fc0c2e544ba52ceca34de55ed9c[1].jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 159
current photo as of today..

Attachments

• 0728101900.jpg
    0728101900.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 162
Looks good from here you got skills I wish I had good looking pit

Me too. Being able to shape iron to your will must be soooo satisfying!

Looking good so far Bredrin. Still trying to fit a hog in there? Might still be a squeeze with the diameter of those tanks... but anyways, I have some constructive criticism to throw your way thinking you posted this for that reason... I think your firebox connections might need to be modified a bit. I believe you're going to lose a lot of heat with those (long) square hollow sections. I've had bad past experience with 2" pipe connections, the FB was quite inefficient and had to be BLAZING to keep the 300 range and on top of that it went through A LOT of coal. I know the issues of mounting a cylindrical FB to a cylindrical smoke chamber are tricky. Anyways, what I'd suggest to you is to mount your FB directly under the extreme left side of the smoker then have maybe two 4" pipes as short as possible leading straight up to the baffle which would then lead the heat to the right, around the food and on to your exhaust on the right as well... OR... have the reverse flow with the FB mounted the same as I've mentioned and let the heat/smoke move right to the end of the RF plate then back to the left past the food and on to your exhaust mounted on the left by the FB. Just my 2¢. Hope it works out for you.

Cheers

Looking good so far Bredrin. Still trying to fit a hog in there? Might still be a squeeze with the diameter of those tanks... but anyways, I have some constructive criticism to throw your way thinking you posted this for that reason... I think your firebox connections might need to be modified a bit. I believe you're going to lose a lot of heat with those (long) square hollow sections. I've had bad past experience with 2" pipe connections, the FB was quite inefficient and had to be BLAZING to keep the 300 range and on top of that it went through A LOT of coal. I know the issues of mounting a cylindrical FB to a cylindrical smoke chamber are tricky. Anyways, what I'd suggest to you is to mount your FB directly under the extreme left side of the smoker then have maybe two 4" pipes as short as possible leading straight up to the baffle which would then lead the heat to the right, around the food and on to your exhaust on the right as well... OR... have the reverse flow with the FB mounted the same as I've mentioned and let the heat/smoke move right to the end of the RF plate then back to the left past the food and on to your exhaust mounted on the left by the FB. Just my 2¢. Hope it works out for you.

Cheers

hey phrasty. thanks you are right about the 2 inch pipe or tububing i change it , to 6" pipe heat really flows up there. now... i am alway open to constructive criticism . i have 20" wide inside there those tanks are 2 60 gal air tanks from sears... i am going to cook it nascar style and dependening on temps on cold side will determen how much i turn it. i was going to make a big drip pan so turning pig would be easy should i stuff pig with something to keep it from drying out? thanks

Attachments

• 0731101816.jpg
    0731101816.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 100
Bumbo! You don't waste time Bredrin!! Now you got that heat flowing properly, what you got inside there to distribute it?? You need to get some tuning plates in there... You gonna go Reg Offset or RF? JMHO I'd weld on a permanent baffle that follows the curve of the smoke chamber right above the FB vents and have that come out to where the tank squares off (where there's no more curve) maybe 3/16th or so to hold heat & once you have that you can cut a couple more flat plates to distribute your heat across the Smoking Chamber (SC). Again, that's just my suggestion, I don't know if you already have something in place. You're gonna be pleased with the upgrade. That's definitely gonna make a difference!

At first I thought the tanks were propane, but now that you have mentioned that they are air tanks and 20" diameter that should be a bit better for the hog.

She's coming along bro! Good going! :thumb:
Cheers

hey phrasty. thanks you are right about the tunning plates i did some searches. and made some calls to the steel place i deal with. i am going to install them about 5 inches below my food grate... thanks for your help this is 6" long i wonder how far over will i need to spread theese plates out> i understand no gap by fb to a gap by exhaust. i hope this evens out temp.. from my research. i think it will. i saw one that had bolts to lock the plates down. thanks again. any other sugestion?

Back