MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Three porks
Full Fledged Farker

Default brisket rub

I think this has been discussed in the past but can somebody give me a recipe for a good brisket rub? I've read about dalmatian,tri level rubs and montreal etc.. but what works the best for bring out the true beefy taste? I tried the Blues Hog Rub last night and it was good but it had a weird taste.....maybe too much coriander....anyway any ideas about good rubs would be appreciated. I would prefer to make my own versus buying commercial products....

Thanks!
Three porks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Three porks
Full Fledged Farker

Sorry I mistakenly but this in the wrong forum....Please move me to q-talk

Old 02-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

try bovine bold or slabs.com beef rub, both are great places to start!
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
Goose
Full Fledged Farker

1/3 sea Salt 1/3 butchers grind pepper 1/3 lemon zest + paprika +thyme.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Start with this and adjust to your taste.

1/2 cup paprika (Get a good California blend form Pendrys)
1/4 cup Ancho chili powder
1/4 cup brown sugar (Optional)
2 tbsp. cumin
2 tbsp. oregano (Mexican)
2 tbsp. salt (Kosher)
1 tbsp. fresh ground black pepper (Medium/butcher grind)
2 tbsp. onion powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
MilitantSquatter

You're likely gonna get many different answers ...this may confuse you more than help you as you won't know which to pick.

I agree though... Blues Hog rub is not s good brisket rub.

For homemade rub, start simple but effective with something like Goose gave you with S&P, or what you noted about Donnie's "dirty dalmation rub", montreal steak seasoning etc. I'm sure Zilla's is good too ....

If you don't like it, you can build or adjust from there.. Easier to figure out what to add than what to take away.

Good Luck !!
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
TrustTheDust
Full Fledged Farker

Good old Montreal Steak seasoning is a great place to start.
A Super Fast Orange Weber-310 UDS Smoking Grill Pen
TrustTheDust is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Keep it simple and let the meat speak for itself. Salt,pepper,garlic and maybe a little onion powder. Get your brisket cooking technique down first.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #9
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

given the limitations of the question, the answer is salt.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #10
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

What do you cook on, what do you use for smoke, and how do you cook em? Personally, brisket has a good beefy flavor on its own. There is a lot to be said about salt, pepper, and maybe garlic and onion powder.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #11
Toploader
On the road to being a farker

I used this on my first brisket and it turned out real good.
2 tbl spoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Toploader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2010, 08:04 AM   #12
Three porks
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks everybody for your responses! They all sounds great!

I'm cooking on a 22 inch wsm using hickory/pecan with a little cherry. I've been cooking hot and fast at 350. I use Amesphos injection mixed with beef broth and apple juice, let it set overnight then rub heavily. I cook till 140 or 3 hours then wrap in foil till done. Then I rest for about 2-3 hours. After the resting period I mix the foiled juices with my bbq sauce then lightly brush the meat. The point usually goes back on in a foiled pan in dripping to crisp up. Its been turning out nice and tender. The blues hog rub that I've been using doesn't seem like a great brisket rub.

I'm gonna make sure to try all your suggestions.

You guys have any bbq sauce recommedations? I really don't like sweet on the brisket.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #13
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Generally speaking, I prefer more savory rubs on brisket and not a lot of sugar.

Salt
Pepper
Chilli Powder
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder

I've even been known to splash on a little worchy and soy sauce.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

The one thing that brings out the beefiness alone is salt, which is not even a spice.
The beefiness taste you speak of that you associate with beef or bbq is actually the concentrated flavor of beef that occurs over times roasting. For this to happen two things must occur to give the most concentrated flavor.... first, you cannot wrap or pan while cooking. I know this sounds weird to some but retaining moisture in a bath of juices around the beef won't do as well as proper dry roasting. Salt is the other thing - it is a carrier of flavor like no other ingredient and without it your other contributions sit on the outside. Injections can enhance artificially these processes and are cool to use but not as good as getting the flavors and smoke and browning taste in the meat with roasting alone.. well, unless you use one, and only one type of specific injection.

Second would be Pepper. A moment about pepper, It is one of those ingredients that is kind of weird too. Black pepper that is. Black pepper, especially when left to the warm air in a pit and not foiled or panned to retain the juices, well, pepper blands out its heat while leaving and earthy flavor thats incredible.

The ONLY OTHER TWO that compliment that beefiness are onion and garlic, mostly because they too, to some degree, change dractically when bathed in the juices and heat of roasting meat. These three spices also incidentally are tied in with our PERCEPTIONS of what goes into beef or on it because that is what has been on it over time. This was mostly due to the fact that wild onions and garlic could be found and dried just about anywhere and it was also a major dried spice first to be marketed.

Next are two or three flavors that will CHANGE the profile of beef in a complimentary form and also have tendency to bland out somewhat with heat.

Paprika is on one end, bringing little taste individually but it tends to knock the edges off of the more aggressive flavors. Celery is probably in the middle depending on whether you crack the shell seed a bit or not, and chili powders on the other end. All of these hammer some different tastes in your brisket but balance out with heat and meat juices.

Finally lemon or sour salt. Sour salt also acts like salt a bit as a carrier in meat. It also has its own personal little spot in the mouth so it can act like a stimulant in the corners of the tongue right at the joints of the mouth. It can overpower the greasiness associated with bbq.

All other spices are going to slant your brisket on one way or another. This means they really will nail a taste you can put your finger on. I should put celery seed back in here but I won't because it has sort of the same tie in as onion and garlic. I ripped it out of their company above because it was not something people saw lying around long ago nor was something that kept well in both ways like roots like garlic and onion.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #15
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Porks View Post
Thanks everybody for your responses! They all sounds great!

I'm cooking on a 22 inch wsm using hickory/pecan with a little cherry. I've been cooking hot and fast at 350. I use Amesphos injection mixed with beef broth and apple juice, let it set overnight then rub heavily. I cook till 140 or 3 hours then wrap in foil till done. Then I rest for about 2-3 hours. After the resting period I mix the foiled juices with my bbq sauce then lightly brush the meat. The point usually goes back on in a foiled pan in dripping to crisp up. Its been turning out nice and tender. The blues hog rub that I've been using doesn't seem like a great brisket rub.

I'm gonna make sure to try all your suggestions.

You guys have any bbq sauce recommedations? I really don't like sweet on the brisket.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
The drippings and sauce mixture may be overpowering the "beefy" taste you are looking for. I'm not familiar with Amesphos, but any injection may also be leaving behind a residual flavor that might also be masking the beefy flavor.
Have you ever just done a simple briskie? No injection, no sauce mixture, just S, P, Smoke, and only natural drippings? I think you'd be surprised at how much flavor is there with only these simple ingredients.
I can't say for certain, but it could also be that the seet from the AJ is more than the flavor of the beef broth and making is sweeter, and not as savory or beefy.
Let us know how things turn out.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote