Au gratin potatoes with ham

Dauvis

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
One of the meals that my wife makes is au gratin potatoes with ham. Her au gratin potatoes come from a box and the ham comes from a package :tsk:. I was surfing the webs and found a way to make ham from country style ribs. I thought that I could do that and improve upon my wife's recipe. :heh:

On Friday evening, I rubbed some country style ribs with Morton's tender quick. This evening, I took them out of the fridge.
mb0t.jpg

I rubbed some of them with Bone Sucking Sauce and the others with McCormick's applewood rub. Put them in the smoker at about 260*.
korw.jpg

Cooked them to an internal temperature 150* and gave them a well deserved rest.
h7il.jpg

bo11.jpg

The color looked good to me and it had a great smoked ham flavor. Based on the feedback on the rest of the family, the recipe was successful.
x8sk.jpg

Now... for part two; the au gratin potatoes.

I diced some onions, sliced some potatoes, and chopped some of the ham.
9udw.jpg

While I started the cheese sauce, my daughter put the potatoes, onions, and ham in a dutch oven.
zxsa.jpg

hws1.jpg

zygs.jpg

Once the cheese sauce was nice and smooth, it was poured over the potatoes, onions, and ham.
7eiq.jpg

67ln.jpg

After about an hour and a half in the oven...
txz9.jpg

x3pb.jpg

wsie.jpg

Very nice!
Potatoes au gratin is one of my standard sides...easy to make and most of the time you got all the ingredients in house.

Dang that looks really good. :hungry:

I need to start cooking 2 dinners a night just to try all these recipes out :shock:

Back