Boston Butt- is there a fast cook method?

Sly-one

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have fast cooked brisket on my UDS and loved it. Is there a way to fast cook a butt for pulling that will still be tender and juicy? I talked to a guy last weekend that has a BBQ concession and said he has never found a way to cook them in under 8-10 hours.

Sure there is. There are guys here who regularly cooks butts at temps from 275 to 325. When i do hot and fast butts I watch the bark color and when it gets to the color that I like I wrap the butt in foil to prevent the bark from burning.

Absolutely. Basically the same technique as Brisket. 350F pit temp. Foil at 160ish. It's done...you know when.

High heat Mod:

DSC_0049.jpg

Porky goodness:

DSC_0104.jpg

The money:

DSC_0162.jpg

The pulled:

DSC_0227.jpg

Yep, did one last Saturday. Turned out alright but everyone that ate it thought it was the best pork they had ever had. As mentioned above, just be watchful of the bark. If your rub has lots of sugar you could risk it burning a bit so foil once you have the bark you want.

Cooking temps of 325ish certainly wont hurt, and I read somewhere you can shorten the "stall" by wrapping it in foil after you get an internal temp of 160.:-D

Thanks for the info! I was hoping there was a way to do it. I don't mind cooking for 8-10 hours, but sometimes, you just don't have that much time to spare. And, Michael, I have a similar mod for my UDS, it's called taking off the vent cap and opening the ball valves, lol. That porky goodness sure looks great. What did you glaze it with?

Thanks for the info! I was hoping there was a way to do it. I don't mind cooking for 8-10 hours, but sometimes, you just don't have that much time to spare. And, Michael, I have a similar mod for my UDS, it's called taking off the vent cap and opening the ball valves, lol. That porky goodness sure looks great. What did you glaze it with?

This takes about 5.5-6 hours.

Have done hot & fast butts in 7 hours... with the cooker running @ 325*.
May need to finish at a higher internal temp... @ 205 for pulling.

[Have done (2) full runs back to back in 14 hours... 3 cases/25 butts each run on the Lang 60]

Note: for best results... have used a sugar free rub ... no foiling required.

Not adding much new with this, but if i'm doing pulled pork at home I always do hot and fast because it tastes just as good. I let it run about 225ish for the first hour then ramp up to 300-315. I foil normally when it hits 160 and rarely is there a stall cooking at this temperature. Most 8lb butts are done is 6-7hrs.

OK Michael, this is just farkin' gorgeous. I'm gonna try your method on my next BB.

DSC_0104.jpg

Last night I did some nice thick country style ribs at 350 for about 2 hrs then wrapped in foil once they reached the color I liked. About another 30 mins and they were done. Pulled pork goodness in a short amount of time. Done on the mini with lump and pecan.

I did a bunch h&f last weekend & foiled, but I didn't like the bark when I unwrapped 'em. I thought it was too soft, so I set 'em back in the cooker for awhile to let the bark set up again.

^^^ That's another reason I prefer to slice. More bark to go 'round.

Back