MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

Default St. Louis area butcher/meat market

I haven't been impressed with any briskets I've seen at local butcher shops. Sam's in Kirkwood isn't carrying packers anymore. I tried RD today and was happy with the pricing but, the individual briskets were a bit on the thin side. I only found two with thick flats.
So, my question is, where do you buy your meat in/around St. Louis? Any place selling Prime or Wagyu?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Have you tried Holland's Meat Market and Cafe'?

They are located over off of New Sugar creek and hwy 30. I've been a few times and liked the quality a lot. I tend to do Dierberghs a lot though still because we are friends of the family owners. Always been satisfied with them.

As far as briskets go, I don't do enough of them to give you a good answer on where to find the best.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
Bob13
Full Fledged Farker

Location: Home of the 11 time World Series Champion Cardinals

Check out Mateker's Meat & Catering and Kenrick's Meat Market. Two great, local outfits. Both are in the south county area, and both usually have an excellent selection. Can't tell you whether or not they're selling Wagyu, though.

Last edited by Bob13; 01-30-2013 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: edit
Bob13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

I've been to all three. I live about a mile from Hollands. I stop in there for lunch every now and then. But, I haven't had good luck with them beyond that.
Kenrick's and Mateker's are good. But, Sam's has them beat for ribs, butts and chicken. Hell, Shop n Save has them all beat for ribs.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Bob13
Full Fledged Farker

Wow... Shop n Save ribs? Scary. I know that LeGrand's (south city, 30 seconds away from Ted Drewes) brisket is very good, when they have it. Might be another option for you.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

Dude, Shop N Save ribs are great. Schnucks too. I haven't been to LeGrands for a while. It's right by my gal's place. I'll give em a call.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Finding briskets in STL always seemed to be a chore to me. From what I remember, Sam's Club in Des Peres had them sometimes - basically if some one specifically asked for one they would order a case, and may or may not get shorted. I think I remember Sam's Club in the Valley carrying them more regularly. Call and ask. The good news is that they are a lot easier to get in about a month from now, right before St. Pat's. I used to stock up on packers then. Good luck!

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
Bob13
Full Fledged Farker

Must be the Shop n Save's near me... I've only seen extra lean ribs at SnS. Schnucks has a decent selection, as does Dierbergs, but they are usually over-priced there.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Finding briskets in STL always seemed to be a chore to me. From what I remember, Sam's Club in Des Peres had them sometimes - basically if some one specifically asked for one they would order a case, and may or may not get shorted. I think I remember Sam's Club in the Valley carrying them more regularly. Call and ask. The good news is that they are a lot easier to get in about a month from now, right before St. Pat's. I used to stock up on packers then. Good luck!

dmp
I'll give em a call. Maybe I can make friends with one of their butchers.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob13 View Post
Must be the Shop n Save's near me... I've only seen extra lean ribs at SnS. Schnucks has a decent selection, as does Dierbergs, but they are usually over-priced there.
Speaking of over priced, I went up to Straubs the other day. Holy Moly. They have "Kobe" priced at $30/lbs.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #11
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I used to work across the street from Straubs. Good for some hard to find stuff, but those "Kobe" prices scared me away too. I used to love Schnuck's for all my pork purchases. Great IPC stuff that would go on sale about once a month. It was closer to me than Sam's, and I would just buy that. Loved it.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #12
BIGBrandon2785
Full Fledged Farker

I hear Kendrick's is good,but I use John's Butcher Shoppe in the Overland area.
BIGBrandon2785 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 06:17 AM   #13
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

O'Fallon, IL Sams had whole packers.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #14
jgarcia
On the road to being a farker

Where can I get Tri-Tip? I have been meaning to try it but have not really seen any other than at Trader Joes.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #15
kgressler
Knows what a fatty is.

I was just at the O'Fallon IL Sams last weekend and they had choice whole packers for 2.49lb. Angus was I believe 4.99lb
kgressler is offline   Reply With Quote