MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Weston81
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Brisket Flat and Point

I bought a packer today for a cook tomorrow, the butcher I go to gives e a cheaper rate when I buy the whole thing instead of just a flat, as I am sure most do. My question is, what should I do with the point, I have the 18.5 WSM and couldn't fit the whole brisket on one rack. Should I smoke the point on the bottom rack and just clean it up for burnt ends? Or should I wait for another day and see what I can salvage from the point? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Weston81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
Downtown Smokeout
Full Fledged Farker

I've seen posts of people wrapping the brisket in a circle to fit it onto smaller smokers.

Weber Imperial Sequoia (restoration in progress)
Weber Platinum (The Green Lantern)
Weber OTS 22.5
Weber SJ
UDS (with more to come)
Cheapo gasser
Old Smokey ES (A gift, don't buy one)

Humble member of the Society for the Preservation of Authentic Royal Magical Rare Kaskaskian Peppers
Honor bound to protect, prepare, and serve
Downtown Smokeout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
GEORGIA BULLHAWGS
On the road to being a farker

grind it and make some burgers
GEORGIA BULLHAWGS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Weston81
Knows what a fatty is.

Briskets already been cut, I thought about that after I call the butcher and told him to cut it. I saw a great post about wrapping it, would like to try it sometime.
Weston81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

I fit 12-14 pound packers on my 18.5 WSM all the time. What I do is wrap some HD foil around both the handles and spray them with some Pam. Hold the brisket under the middle and kind of "tuck" the two ends into the handles. The brisket will kind of fold part way and should be fine.

Eventually it will shrink and will fit without having to tuck it.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
cricky101
Full Fledged Farker

If it's already separated I'd smoke the point at the same time as the flat.

When doing whole packers on my ECB bullet smoker I've draped them over a small bowl or beer can chicken holder to prop it up in the middle. Doing that pulls in the outside edges enough to fit. After a while it shrinks enough and I get rid of the chicken holder and put it right on the rack.
cricky101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
bbqmama
Found some matches.

I separate the point and flat, put the flat on the rack and then lay the point on top of it, covering a little more of the flat than it did before. This allows me to still shut the lid, and more of the flat stays nice and moist. Once the brisket has shrunk during cooking I'll separate them and lay them side by side on the rack.
bbqmama is offline   Reply With Quote