Turkey High heat or Low

quarters69

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Wanted to get some advice from the brethren. Is it better to cook a turkey low and slow, or high and fast? What are your ideas and how much time for each option? Turkey time is upon us and wanted some ideas. Thanks ahead of time :clap2::clap2:

Our family has been cooking turkeys outside for the last couple of decades. Here's what we do -

First off, make sure your turkey is COMPLETELY thawed. The Sunday before Thanksgiving, I make sure the body and neck cavities are completely emptied out and set the turkey in a pan in the bottom of the fridge to continue defrosting.

On Thanksgiving morning, we rub it down inside and out with olive oil and Parkay margarine, then we salt and pepper it. We do not stuff it so that it cooks really well all the way through.

We set up a 22.5" Weber grill for indirect cooking, using charcoal corals on two sides. We put a pan with a little water in between the charcoal grates with a little apple juice to catch the drippings and keep things moist.

We add a small chunk of apple or cherry wood along with a few charcoal briquettes to each side about every hour or so.

A 20 pound turkey takes about eight hours, depending on the air temperature, wind, etc.

I go by the pop-up timer for doneness. I've checked it with a temperature probe before and it was right on the money. I think that's fascinating that they can build a cheap little plastic and spring thing that is so accurate.

Hope this helps!

What is your hours to pound ratio for 325 to 350? thanks keith

I cater and cook cook at home at 225-250. I like this because they can sit on the cooker for a while after they are done and still be moist.

Just according what else I have on the smoker
, sometime high , sometime low, but if you take the backbone out take a lot less time

I always go low and slow 250 to 275 and just have the probe in the thigh looking for about 150 to 155, it's done at 165. Keep your eye on the breast it will be the first part to burn and dry out, tent it (breast) with foil if it looks like it is cooking to fast or drying out. Good stuff. I've done a smoked turkey for Thanksgiving for probably 25 years, plus one in the oven for the traditionalist, never any smoked turkey left for sammies!

Do you guys/girls always cook a turkey whole?
Why not cut it in half?

Do you guys/girls always cook a turkey whole?
Why not cut it in half?

Because it's a bird thing...it's Thanksgiving...it's traditional...plus...it just looks damn cool! :becky:

Seems like more people go the 325 route than low and slow, any more ideas

I like the higher heat because I like the skin, lower heat on poultry = rubber skin. At least in my experience it does anyways. If I could cook lower and avoid the rubber skin I would.

High for Birds!

I could be completely wrong on the temp for beef v. the temp for birds, but beef requires LOW and SLOW in order for the fat and collagen to break down to form moisture and tenderness. Birds (turkeys, chickens, duck, etc.) do not have the fat content of beef, and therefore do not require the low heat. High heat in birds produces a better skin, a faster cook (less time to dry out the meat), and a more moist meat.

I remember it this way: Birds fly HIGH; Cows & Pigs eat LOW. Gotta keep it simple for me.

Back