Danger, danger Will Robinson.

Pyle's BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
:doh:For those that are new here, just a friendly reminder to wash your hands after handling peppers.

I made Pico De Gallo and cut up some fresh Jalapenos. I forgot to wash my hands. I was rubbing my eye and they started to burn. That is when I realized I forgot to wash them. It is kinda hard to type when your sight is blurry.

Luckily I did not touch any other sensitive areas. :shock:

Haha, did the same thing not to long ago cutting jalapenos for stuffed peppers. Threw the ribs on the smoker without washing my hands and when I opened the door the smoke got in my eye so i rubbed it and then came the burning. :doh: I took a shot class and filled it with milk and leaned my head back over the sink with the shot glass full of milk on my eye so that it would quit burning. Didn't really like the idea at first, but it felt a heck of a lot better as soon as I did it. Went and bought a big box of gloves the next day.

Ahh, the ol' peppered pecker. Or the opposite part, not so happy, she was.

A prep cook I worked with once chopped up a case of jalapenos. He went home later that evening and was amorous with his lady.... you see where this is going. He was not allowed to be amorous for quite a while thereafter, and always wore gloves when handling peppers.

I learned from his lesson.

The first time I cleaned some habs I did not wear gloves :oops::oops::oops: but I did wash my hands numerous times plus washing dishes after dinner. Didn't matter. Thought I was going to go blind when I took my contacts out later that night:shock:

This is why I have my lady do all my veggie prep work...I don't think she's every touched my eyes.

I'm sure I could say something smarta** here but with all the true stories why should I :decision:

Been there done that... Did a bunch of Japs for ABT's and then went to the john after I had washed my hands... Nuf said...

Lucky they were only jalapenos!

I usually use gloves also when working with peppers, but, if you're making pico, I found that if you "wash" your hands with the tomato guts left over after seeding the tomatoes, something in that juice does a pretty good job of neutralizing the burn.

Gets me every time though, we make hot sauce, pepper jelly, and ground peppers (habs, jalapenos, cayenne, etc) most every year and I always forget about how the capsaicin aeresolizes when hit with hot water when washing/rinsing the blender, food processor, etc...:shocked:

Usually end up coughing, sneezing, and nose running like Niagra Falls for a half hour or so!

I was talking with a coworker about jalapenos the other day, since he grows them, when he suddenly up and said, "One thing -- never blanche them!"

:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

Lord, I'll bet that was rough that day! Heheheheh...

I use habs in my chili and will never cut em up again without gloves.. that oil gets under your nails and takes forever to go away no matter how many times you wash:(

Back