MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #31
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I am a "Grill It" kinda guy

I just soak for an hour and on to the grill medium hot for 30 minutes or until the husks are cooked up and black.

Husk and silk come of easy peasy that way.

But, It is all good !!!!!

TIM

Old 06-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #32
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
A lot depends on how fresh the corn is, since anyone who has eaten corn off the stalk knows it does not need to be cooked, the longer it is off the stalk, the longer you need to cook it. Overcooked, the kernels get mushy and squishy, really overcooked and they deflate and you get wrinkled skins. Yuck!

I prefer steaming, really fresh corn (silks still all yellow) 15 to 20 minutes in steam. Silks turning brown, 30 to 35 minutes. I do not bother with salt or sugar (I am steaming). I use my 6 gallon brew pot, put a rack in the bottom and fill 2 or 3 inches with water and get it started. Keep a kettle simmering for adding water when needed.
That's my preference. I live in corn growing country. The old saying goes "don't pick the corn until the water is boiling".

Old 06-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #33
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joayers65 View Post
I love COTC!
This is my procedure.I like to pull the husks back and remove the silk, then put the husks back as nicely as possible. Soak the cobs in cold water for 1 hour. Place on a medium grill for 20 minutes, Slather it in melted butter and some salt.
OMG
I'm with The Kapn.
No need to remove silks prior to grilling. In fact, I find they protect the kernels and provide moisture. Also, they peel off super easy and in one piece after they're grilled.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #34
Kirk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlepitboss View Post
3 minutes is great for corn picked that day. If you're buying 5/dollar at the supermarket and the silks are black and look semi-rotten, it's 10-14 minutes boiling. We do 10 minutes at our house, no problem...

To the OP, two propane turkey burners and two 16" stock pots should easily cook corn for 50 people. Heat one pot from cold to boiling and time it before the event so you know how long it will take to boil the water...

Fresh corn 3-5 minutes (new-looking yellow silk) boiling
Old corn 10-14 minutes (silk turned black) boiling

seattlepitboss
Thanks to everybody that replied but this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I will have to pay more attention to the silk to estimate the age of the corn.

I do have one turkey fryer that I intend to use. I think what I'm going to do is break the ears in half so that more pieces come out per batch, and I'll just do batches as required. People can take more than one piece if they want and it might be a little easier to handle that way since most of these people will be standing anyway.

I'll have to do a test run or two before the 4th because I'm sure if there's a way to do it wrong, I'll find it. Who would've thunk that cotc could give anyone problems?

Old 06-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #35
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you going to do a lot the trash can is your best bet. If you really want to get creative husk the going pot in trasg can with new potatoes , carrots and smoke sasuage. maybe a few sweet tater . steam until done then lay a clean sheet or butcher paper on picnic table pour can out on table let people serve themselves.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #36
NFLNative
Knows what a fatty is.

I shuck them and put them straight on the grill. I like to char it up a little. It brings out the sugars and makes it really good.
NFLNative is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #37
heiny
On the road to being a farker

I shuck, boil 5 min and then throw on the grill after I hit them liberally with some spices (what ever works well with the other things I am grilling.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #38
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

Landarc brings up very good point about the freshness of said corn. That will be your munchkin in quest for perfect corn. that being said....forget all about grilling it, smoking it, yada yada. Bring a big pot of water to boil, toss ears in, bring back to boil for anywhere between 4 and 7 minutes then remove from pot. It's really a matter of personal preference. I tend to like my corn "ala dente". Some like it "well done". The fresher the better. Don't bother adding sugar or for gods sake, don't waste good Jack Daniels in the water!

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #39
speedrcer1
is One Chatty Farker

A quick not to try that a relative tried. DO NOT TRY!!!
They ran a few non-soap cycles through their dishwasher. Then ran a full load of corn on the high heat, high dry cycle. The corn was just past raw.

I like the trash can double boiler!
Member Purple Pork Masters Team (Team on Vacation)
Bubba-Keg [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri][/FONT][/SIZE]
"New" 2000 Traeger BBQ100
KCBS 54236, Certified KCBS judge
Certified MOINK Baller
Super-Fast, Super-Non Stealthy ORANGE Themapen RIP. Now Yellow. Orange color retired.
speedrcer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2010, 07:40 AM   #40
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
I think what I'm going to do is break the ears in half so that more pieces come out per batch,
Probably would be nice to go that route, but shucking, removing the silks & breaking in half seems like a lot of work. Guess that too is why I'm a "grill em in the husks" kind of guy.

Good luck n enjoy.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #41
QuietOne
Full Fledged Farker

Soak in cold water for a hour or all afternoon if I remember to put it in early enough.

Don't husk or remove silk before putting on the BBQ, whether it's gas, lump on the kettle or the UDS doesn't matter when the husks char up it's done. On the UDS you want to get it before it chars. But LOVE that smoke taste the drum and hickory/mesquite gives.

Silk removes easy as all get out, silicone oven gloves work wonders. So does the ov glove.
QuietOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #42
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnut View Post
Landarc brings up very good point about the freshness of said corn. That will be your munchkin in quest for perfect corn. that being said....forget all about grilling it, smoking it, yada yada. Bring a big pot of water to boil, toss ears in, bring back to boil for anywhere between 4 and 7 minutes then remove from pot. It's really a matter of personal preference. I tend to like my corn "ala dente". Some like it "well done". The fresher the better. Don't bother adding sugar or for gods sake, don't waste good Jack Daniels in the water!
Did somebody say munchkin? vvvvv
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #43
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Just remember to NEVER salt the water. Sugar can help but the salt will sieze up the starches and ruin it.
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #44
Jebber
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBarry View Post
Just remember to NEVER salt the water. Sugar can help but the salt will sieze up the starches and ruin it.
I disagree - the best time to introduce salt is in the water when cooking.

To each their own, just my opinion honed growing up on the Farm in the midwest :)

What do you do for potatoes - another starchy vegetable?
Jebber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 02:24 AM   #45
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebber View Post
I disagree - the best time to introduce salt is in the water when cooking.

To each their own, just my opinion honed growing up on the Farm in the midwest :)

What do you do for potatoes - another starchy vegetable?
I agree to each their own but in this case, chemistry is chemistry. Alton Brown and other chefs have proven that salt will act on the starches in the kernels and toughen them up.

Example: http://www.ochef.com/1180.htm

I love salt (and gobs of butter) on my corn but not during the cooking process.

Enjoy it if you do but try it some time without. Cook two batches of corn from the same pick with and without and see what you get.
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote