Anyone ever organized a BBQ contest for their church

CrackerJack from KC

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Wanting to do some type of fundraiser, thought a BBQ would be a great idea. At 1st I was thinking I would cook all the Q, but then I got to thinking it might be fun to turn it into an BBQ contest. (more fellowship etc)

One of my ideas is not to have any particular category to judge, but to just have people vote on what their favorite thing was. If this event would become a big deal in the future, we could get more organized and add categories, but wanting to keep it simple and fun at 1st. I figure we will charge people some amount of money to eat the Q.

If you have done something like this before, would love to know how you did it, what were the rules, what were the prizes, etc. and any advice on what to do and what not to do?

Actually, I work with many organizations within the state. I cook both BBQ and
chili. With something like this, as it's easy for competitors to get set-up, and
SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive, I would HIGHLY suggest a chili cookoff. Sell tickets
for a $1 or $2 for crowd favorite (ie. raise money). Have them cook a minimum of
12 quarts each.

Forgot; significantly less TIME, too. You can cook competition level chili between 2
to 4 hours. I'm not certain you can BBQ/smoke much other than an oink-ball or a
fatty in that time frame.

I suggest you start with the health dept. If you charge people to eat the food then there are certain requirements in most States. Maybe somebody that has organized a peoples choice can chip in on this.

Our church already has a Chili event (they just make the Chili and sell it either to go or to stay) in the fall, I was looking to do something similar to what is already done in the spring with BBQ. (only better of course)

Crackerjack, the problem with BBQ is that a) it takes a long time to do properly, and b)
its very expensive, all things being equal. In chili, of course it's all given away. I usually
give out $40 - $60 of chili, and it wont last an hour. In that same time frame, we could
easily give out $600 or more in BBQ.

I dont know...

I am doing a sanctioned Cook Off at my church in Jan
Finding a way to interest cooks from outside the body
would be your challenge

Back