Lost the gasket but what a great pizza !!!!

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
BGE was slowly cranked up to 700+ deg and then let stabilize...in prep for another pizza experiment. Just as I was about to slide on the pie I noticed the gasket peeling back. Rather than risk it melting I quickly put the pie down, ripped off the gasket from top and bottom and them slide the pie on the stone.

So, what follows is the lost gasket.. then the pizza. It was fanstastic and I'm getting closer to what I am trying to accomplish.

Now, I'm just pissed that I have to get the Nomex gasket and replace.

Anyway - pizza is made with dough from one of the better pizza places in the area, Coluccio whole peeled certified D.O.P. San Marzano tomatoes that I strained and gently pulsed in blender for about 5-10 seconds at most, fresh mozzarella (cow's milk only - store did not have the mozzarella di bufala), extra virgin olive oil, grated gran padano cheese and fresh basil.

Last edited:
looks yummy, Vinny. Will have to try the canned San Marzano because I cannot get any decent fresh ones. Want to try Gran Padano as well so you just gave me a really good excuse.

Sorry about the gasket:sad:

makeing pizza sauce with San Marzano is the only way to go some good looking pizza.....Good Job Vinny

Now that is a great looking Egg Pizza,, Pass a slice this a way,,

RIP old gasket...

Heck... Why did we go out, when you have skills like that! Great looking pie, and the next time I go see Jeff Varinzano, I'll have to brag about your cooking!

nice pie! are you Italian? :biggrin:

try it without the gasket for awhile.

Thanks for all the comments so far..I was proud of this one as I tried to emulate Difara's Pizza of Brooklyn.

Hopefully in the near future, I'll have a mixer to test different flours to try to make different crust styles I want to try to replicate.

Sounds like a good idea but then I remember Poobah's two comments

1) "at $3 a dough ball, I'll stick with buying it from one of the local pizza joints"
2) "kitchen ends up looking like a cocaine mfg. lab"

Gonna call BGE tomorrow to get the replacement Nomex gasket.. I also noticed that my dome got out of alignment, but it's still too hot to touch it. Been trying to cool it down since 3PM but even with vents closed it's still 350 as air is coming through a 1/3" gap in the rear dome level. Guess i'll just let it burn out overnight.

nice pie! are you Italian? :biggrin:

try it without the gasket for awhile.

Why yes I am !! :biggrin: Nevermind that my fist name is Vinny and I grew up in Brooklyn... My last name has every vowel in it and one vowel is repeated !!! :eek:

Rick - I'd have no problem going gasket-less if I knew I could still maintain 250 for the long BBQ cooks.. Then I wouldn't get nervous about cranking it up when I want to grill hot or bake pizza.

What's the downside of going gasket-less ? Would it waste a ton more fuel ? Any potential damage to ceramics etc. ??

Thanks for all the comments so far..I was proud of this one as I tried to emulate Difara's Pizza of Brooklyn.

Hopefully in the near future, I'll have a mixer to test different flours to try to make different crust styles I want to try to replicate.

Sounds like a good idea but then I remember Poobah's two comments

1) "at $3 a dough ball, I'll stick with buying it from one of the local pizza joints"
2) "kitchen ends up looking like a cocaine mfg. lab"

Gonna call BGE tomorrow to get the replacement Nomex gasket.. I also noticed that my dome got out of alignment, but it's still too hot to touch it. Been trying to cool it down since 3PM but even with vents closed it's still 350 as air is coming through a 1/3" gap in the rear dome level. Guess i'll just let it burn out overnight.
Looks great but emulating DiFara? Pfffft:rolleyes::tongue:

Why yes I am !! :biggrin: Nevermind that my fist name is Vinny and I grew up in Brooklyn... My last name has every vowel in it and one vowel is repeated !!! :eek:

Rick - I'd have no problem going gasket-less if I knew I could still maintain 250 for the long BBQ cooks.. Then I wouldn't get nervous about cranking it up when I want to grill hot or bake pizza.

What's the downside of going gasket-less ? Would it waste a ton more fuel ? Any potential damage to ceramics etc. ??

ya see? that's why pizzas don't work for me because i'm mostly german. :biggrin:

you should be able to adjust the bands to get the gap in the back to get smaller. if you can get a good seal without the gaskets all the way around, you should be able to maintain 250 and snuff the fire quickly. the risk is someone slamming the dome down too hard. people cook with no gaskets regularly. old seasoned, compressed gaskets aren't much cushion for the dome anyway. keep on cookin!

"old seasoned, compressed gaskets"

I like that Rick. Sounds so much better than the "burnt up, torched, deteriorating pieces of felt" that I've had! :biggrin::tongue:

"old seasoned, compressed gaskets"

I like that Rick. Sounds so much better than the "burnt up, torched, deteriorating pieces of felt" that I've had! :biggrin::tongue:

defelt.

Back