• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Watching Those Temps and Seeing Big Improvements on My 2nd Q

EricQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was pretty surprised on my second Q to find that the door thermometer I bought ($19.95) was nothing more than a door plug! I used the Nu-Temp 701 (wireless remote temp probe) & other thermometers and found that the door thermometer was off up to +50 degrees during the Q. I was able to watch the temps while watching football!

I highly recommend the Nu-Temp.

:lol: :lol: I believe that Phil may have a special price on them…?

Also, this was my first Q with the Bandera modifications (baffle, fire grate, and fire brick). I just wanted to say that I have seen a huge improvement in being able to control my temps. At times, I was able to go up to 3.5 hours with stable temps and without adding any fuel. Also, I used much less charcoal this time…

For those out there that have not made the modifications yet- it is well worth the time and effort!

Looking forward to the next Q ! 8) 8) 8)

Thanks,

Eric

Bill – I will into Big Al’s Mod.- Thanks

Looks as though I need a few cans of paint! Fire box needs a whole new coat- I guess those 16” logs do the blistering….. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Eric

EricQ said:
Bill – I will into Big Al’s Mod.- Thanks

Looks as though I need a few cans of paint! Fire box needs a whole new coat- I guess those 16” logs do the blistering….. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Eric
Forget the paint, just use vegetable oil.

willkat98 said:
what about Big Al's heat shield.

That saved me another hour or 2 worth of fuel alone. 5 hours in the 250 range.
This is the sheild at the top right?

I've been doing that for everthing untill this morning (I dumped the water pan (AKA: grease trap) into the fire, and had a grease fire that melted the foil on my heat shield).

For large loads I move it up to the the top of the smokebox. It seems to really even out the heat, so I never take it out.

Sounds like you're having a great day. "Q'ing is a bit like therapy.

Re: Watching Those Temps and Seeing Big Improvements on My 2

For those out there that have not made the modifications yet- it is well worth the time and effort!

Link to the mods?

thanks

Link to the mods?

Look on the left side of this (or any of the pages) for the Files button (I typed Links earlier - long day!) and then for Bandera Mods.

FYI for other non-Bandera owners: a lot of the tips work with other offset smokers, too.

Thanks for all of the info everyone. I'm still finding my way around the site. Plan to buy and mod a Bandera this Spring.

Back