MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #46
ABQ
On the road to being a farker

Lately, I have seen some nasty stuff done by the anchors of FN. Double dipping, licked fingers back in the food, raw meat hands touching everything... all from what use to be the "wash your chicken police".

I've seen some nasty things in restaurants and removed myself from them. It doesn't have to be gross. Fortunately, most my time have been in clean operations.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #47
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
But she's nothing more than what they already have. Cut from the same mold, and she is basically doing what is already being done now. Inexpensive, "easy", "quick" cooking for the working woman. How many shows do they need catering to the working mom or wife?
I kinda disagree (respectfully of course). I think people have to remember what Food Network used to be. It was cooking demo shows all day long and all night long. They did "Live to Tape" and ran them. Now I like to watch interesting cooking demo shows, but when that was all they had on their ratings just sucked. I personally think it all changed with Emeril Live. Emeril (love him or hate him) changed the way we looked at cooking forever. It became not only about cooking demos, but about ENTERTAINMENT. The ratings soared (especially among male viewers who they had never hit before). The other thing that changed Food Network forever was Rachel Ray. I don't like her and I don't like the food she makes usually, but she was the first "non-chef" to really hit it huge. Once they saw how big a market there was for people wanting quick and easy recipes that they could fix on a weeknight after work it changed everything. It led to some BAD ones like Sandra Lee (who WILL kill someone with one of her recipes one day I predict), but what successful anything doesn't lead to knock offs as soon as they can get them? I personally like the variety that they have now with alot of different types of shows.

Melissa is seriously gonna be a better host than some of the others, and while she might be cut from the same cloth as some of the others, she strikes me as much better than Sandy.

Why do they have so many shows targeting working moms and quick easy meals? Who do you think their target market is? Who do you think does 90% of the cooking and shopping in the US? You play to your market. You DO think outside the box on some shows and try to hit the next big thing, but you gotta dance with who brung ya.

Last edited by GreasePig; 08-03-2009 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: can't farking speel
GreasePig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #48
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

The Hearty boys I think was season one. They crapped out. Never thought it was fair that a team won. The lady with the curly hair won the season after Guy Fieri. She basically quit after not liking being away from home. JAG would have won but he lied about his war record.

The year Guy won there was another guy on the show that ended with his own show on Fitness TV. I think his name was Lyon.

I just hope the Australian dude that has ruined Paula Dean and Big Daddy does not get any where near Melissa.

I never liked Emeril live. The audience was just too goofy. The Essence of Emeril is a good show.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #49
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollar View Post
Anyone remember Justin Wilson? "A little wine for the pot, a little wine for the cook.".
Chuck
Indeed! Thanks Chuck, still got some of his sauce, I wouldn't eat it though.

(pours one out for his fallen Homey)

Old 08-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #50
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

I miss Grillin' & Chillin' with Bobby Flay and Jack McDavid

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #51
Brauma

I guess I'm in the minority here but I loved Emeril Live. Before him, Food TV was unwatchable. We were hooked on him. It was food entertainment plus I learned a ton of stuff. I still finding myself saying "I dont know where you get your water from, but mine doesnt come seasoned".

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #52
Norcoredneck

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #53
ABQ

Is Sara Moulton still on Food Network?

Very similar in more ways than one.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #54
landarc

We shall see, I always like Sara Moulton's shows. And she has the chops in terms of cooking and teaching. I found her personality to be fine for her programs.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #55
ABQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
We shall see, I always like Sara Moulton's shows. And she has the chops in terms of cooking and teaching. I found her personality to be fine for her programs.

Same here. I was curious if she is still on FN and/or if Melissa is the replacement.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #56
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Well I have pretty much quit watching FN. I will watch 3D and Guy's Big Bite. Nothing else is worth watching.

I think the owners of FN need to ask the judges about their Batting average with The Next FN Star. They are only batting about .100 with Guy being the only one to come through for them. The jury is still out on Aaron...
I would be looking for better talent scouts...
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #57
hddm3
Found some matches.

Yes food network sucks. Same ol same ol.
hddm3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #58
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydermike72 View Post
Well I have pretty much quit watching FN. I will watch 3D and Guy's Big Bite. Nothing else is worth watching.

I think the owners of FN need to ask the judges about their Batting average with The Next FN Star. They are only batting about .100 with Guy being the only one to come through for them. The jury is still out on Aaron...
I would be looking for better talent scouts...
I really don't think it is that big a thing to them if the show from the winner tanks.

The ratings for NFNS is why they do it. It gets really good ratings consistently.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #59
landarc

Sara has moved to PBS, she took over her mentor's spot. Julia Childs was a huge believer in PBS and being a part of food education accessible to all.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #60
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwerks View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say that her bubbliness is contrived. There are people that think Paula Deen's accent and mannerisms are fraudulent as well. Mostly I hear these comments from people that haven't been exposed to different areas of the country.

All I'm saying is that just because yo don't know anyone like them, doesn't mean they aren't real. I have known many people almost interchangeable with Paule Deen, and they weren't putting up a front.
That is the reason I use the term "perceived". Whether they are "genuine" or not they have to sell it to the viewers. You can be as "genuine" as can be but if that isn't conveyed and "sold to" the viewer it doesn't matter. I've had exposure to many cultures and areas of this country. Paula Deen comes across to me as genuine. But I just don't get that with this girl that won NFNS. Sorry, but it just looks manufactured. I get very leery of people that can and do cry at the drop of a hat.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote