MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
Greg60525
On the road to being a farker

Default Brisket: Holding in Cooler Questions

I foil my brisket, wrap in towels and hold in a hot cooler. When I pull it out of the cooler, how long do you wait until you slice it? Do you unwrap it for a while first. I'm assuming that if sliced immediately it would be more difficult and might shread some. For competition you probably wouldn't want to wait too long because the meet is cooling. Typically, I'll have a couple briskets and pork butts in the cooler at the same time, so this will add to the thermal mass.

Here's another related question: At what temp do you put it into the cooler for holding, as the temp will continue to rise. Will holding too long dry out the meat or over-cook it?

Is pork butt treated the same (assuming pulling)?

Thanks,

Old 04-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
bbqfans
Full Fledged Farker

Default Hello,Greg.....;}-

I do the same thing, Wrap, Towel and in the Cooler. I take the pork till I can Pull the bone(I like the flavor the bone gives and it's a perfect thermometer for me)and Brisket to 190* to 195*F. Yes they continue breaking down some, but if you wrap and LEAVE it wrapped, the moisture will remain in the meat. You can slice it right out of the cooler (the juices have cooled enough to keep them from gushing out.)
With PP, I re-introduce the drippings from the foil after pulling and it keeps it nicely-add extra flavors here too if you want...
What you don't use from the cooler, leave wrapped and freeze. Will keep for 3-4months,but they'll be gone far sooner than that!
bbqfans is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If I can stand the wait, I like to let it sit long enough whereby I don't burn my flippin fingers off while slicing it.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

Briskets are my toughest meat to time right, often resulting in over-cooked meat. The mistakes I have identified are:
1. Placing other hot meat on top of the brisket and holding too long.
2. Cooking to tender and done then wrapping and holding too long.

I think if your brisket is tender and done the thing to do is to vent it
slightly to cool a bit then re-wrap and hold in or out of the cooler depending on when you plan to serve trying to keep the meat above 140* but below 180*.
Where I live the boiling point is about 210 so allowing a brisket to stay at 205 for any length of time is gonna dry it out in my experience.
If the brisket is coming off early pull it at 180-185 before it becomes tender then wrap an retest maybe an hour later. I haven't found any fool proof methods.
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
paperboy98

I've always wondered how long you could safely leave them in the cooler. I have occasionally left them overnight when I was too tired to deal with them. Is that a little risky? Thanks
Paperboy98
paperboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboy98 View Post
I've always wondered how long you could safely leave them in the cooler. I have occasionally left them overnight when I was too tired to deal with them. Is that a little risky? Thanks
Paperboy98
As long as they don't get too cool. (Below 140)
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty

Last edited by thillin; 04-15-2009 at 08:37 PM..
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hey Shane!

W.W.W.D?

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2009, 12:19 AM   #8
Greg60525

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDoc View Post
Briskets are my toughest meat to time right, often resulting in over-cooked meat. The mistakes I have identified are:
1. Placing other hot meat on top of the brisket and holding too long.
2. Cooking to tender and done then wrapping and holding too long.

QDoc,

I do exacly what you have found to be issues. I generally load up the cooler with a bunch of hot meat that has been taken to the fully tender state. For comps I generally hold for 3-4 hours. I have held meat for family cooks for up to 6 hours............piping hot.......really unbelieveable!

I need to perform some experimentation on this. I never get "dry" meat when I do this, but I think it should have more moisture. Could be a reason??

Thanks,