MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #16
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I'll be in Eagle MI on April 24-25. Take Friday off and drive over and cook with me. You won't learn much from me but you can watch others while pretending to help me.

Serious offer. PM me if interested. I'll also be doing Auburn Hills MI June 26 - 27 but I'll be a lot more serious there and have a couple of helpers signed up so it will be a group thing.

I Agree with Todd. Understand Bull's story. I've mentored one or two people and most went off to form their own teams. Wanted to get away from the bossy control freak. And be careful. It's starts as let's cook a contest and see what happens and ends up touring the country cooking wherever you can.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #17
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

True Story;
5 years ago, I cooked a pork butt on my Brinkman Cimmaron for a buddy. I now have a wall with a bunch of ribbons, couple of big trophys, roughly $50,000 in BBQ related stuff including 2 trailers and all kinds of small items. Not to mention a $30,000 truck to pull the trailer and a $35,000 shop addition. Oh yea, a catering license, business license, LLC and a big insurance bill every spring......did someone say money.....................come on in, the water's fine!!
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #18
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

BTW - The tenor of my post is not to say "Look at all my stuff", but to illustrate what can happen to a guy who starts with a contest and works constantly to get bigger and better. BBQ has been very good to us. We saved our money from catering jobs which came more readily after a few contest successes.

We do contests wth 2 or 4 people. 2 is plenty.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #19
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I forgot to mention that our team will be mentoring a new fellow but your welcome to come and hang with us and Ford if you wish.

Glad you changed your mind Ford and going to make the fun cook.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #20
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Eagle would be a great place to see if what you need to get started. It is very relaxed but it is a simulated event so the teams will have all of their gear there and setup like an actual comp.

I cant think of a better person than Ford to show you the ropes (I am being serious here). You will learn lots and if you play your cards right you will eat like a king at Saturday Breakfast!!!

I know it is a bit of a drive but it is worth it and there are Hotels nearby if you dont like sleeping in your truck!!
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #21
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
- Disposable income
- Strong need for affirmation from others
- Detachment from common sense
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Funny, last weekend Don (my brother/teammate) asked me if civilians (non-bbqers) thought of us (meaning all competition cookers) in the same way the general public thinks about Trekies. I wasn't sure what to say and I'm still wondering about it.

I have to admit, over the past 2 years I probably talk about BBQ everyday. Do we have a thread on this site that we can openly discuss our possible BBQ discussion need?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #22
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Maybe I will have to have a practice here in the yard on the 24th and 25th.I would have to phone my entries to Eagle....I have spent a comp with Ford and its well worth the price of admission.Still tryin to figure what to bring to Fort so I dont have to spend 5 hours driving around looking for those damn Krispy Kremes
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #23
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Funny, last weekend Don (my brother/teammate) asked me if civilians (non-bbqers) thought of us (meaning all competition cookers) in the same way the general public thinks about Trekies. I didn't have an answer and I'm still wondering.

I have to admit, over the past 2 years I probably talk about BBQ everyday. Do we have a thread on this site that we can openly discuss our possible BBQ discussion need?
You want a thread on a BBQ forum to talk about the need to talk about BBQ? Huh?

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #24
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

I guess its not been that long since we started the addiction.Last year we started competing.It started the year before when a friend says there is a bqq comp about 20 miles away we should go check it out.Now at the time we were both cooking a few butts and thought we were good at it.So off we go.Looked around ,met some great people.We say well lets try it.So we went to 2 more and were fortunate enough to spend turn day with a team and got to see whatits about first hand.So we started practicing and collecting gear(seems like a miilion$ ago)Compared to some of the other teams there we were the beverly hillbillies for sure.2 WSMs and a homemade cooker.We ended up doing 3 regular contests last year and had somewhat respectable results.I think the biggest thing is you have to decide if you want to do it solo and there are some folks who do that damn well.Or you have to find some one that you enjoy the time spent with and who is willing to do what it takes to compete.There are teams that compete and win with just UDSs for cookers.If you have some basic skills to make those you shouldnt have a lack of cooking space.Our team consists of my wife and the friend I mentioned,and myself.The wife and I have done it on our own when Jack couldnt make it.If you could spend one comp with a team you would have a much better understanding then all of us exsplaining.It can be done a lot cheaper then most do it by cooking minimal amounts of meat and not entertaining a bunch of your friends (Takes money to buy whiskey).Try it ....worse thing happens is you end up in a 7 step program...Hi My name Is Coz and I have a problem...
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #25
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Oh yeah... I forgot... You also have to enjoy sleeping in a lawn chair or in a truck

Also, you should be prepared to meet a bunch of great people and make new friends! Even though we are all competing for the same prizes, a lot of us are friends and look forward to seeing each other at the competitions.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #26
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

all you need is yourself. You don't need a "team"..
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #27
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I agree Podge.... I've won them going solo or with just my girls... Too many people get in the way is my feelings...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #28
Bentley
Babbling Farker

A pit and a desire to cook in a competition.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #29
Greg60525
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Oh yeah... I forgot... You also have to enjoy sleeping in a lawn chair or in a truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
all you need is yourself. You don't need a "team"..

After much internet research and talking to the people at Uncle Bub's I entered my first 2 comps last year. I basically went in cold turkey! My wife "accompanied" me on my first one.............basically, I did most of the work, but it was nice to have her there anyway. Some of you guys remember how cold it was in Westmont last May............I caught cat naps in my reclining lawn chair right next to the firebox with covers pulled over my head. My wife found shelter in the heated Uncle Bub's tent.

I got creamed in my first comp, but I learned a lot and had a great time. I did much better the second time around.

So, do you need a team...........I think you can do it by yourself, but it's nice to have someone to help out, if not to just chat with. My brother is helping out now. The first year cost can be a little on the steep side if you don't have much. I had to get a tent, load up on some foil, utensils, etc.. I made a spreadsheet of all of the stuff you need to bring.........most of the stuff I had, but the list is staggering. You must be organized.

I found that taking a notebook to keep track of the things that have to happen for each turn-in was very helpful. Basically, schedule all of the details that must happen. I start at the turn-in time and write down the process in reverse with times for each.

Go for it and have fun!

Old 04-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #30
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
- Disposable income
- Strong need for affirmation from others
- Detachment from common sense
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

That pretty much sums it up bro

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote