MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #4651
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

I guess I will post a tentative update on my drum, but it is still a work in process...

I attached a 12 volt dc 8cfm fan from Digikey ($8 plus postage) to an available bbq thermostat (the one that uses 12volt dc fans). It worked very well with a normal charcoal burn (allowing me to regulate the temp and even push it up to 350 w/o an issue. There was much rejoicing (abet the ABT's were a bit different with the fast cook)

When I did a twig burn (small sticks), I had to open up both plugs and it still struggled long and hard to get up to that temp. I only achieved after rotating the basket mid burn - the fire was very lopsided. I learned 2 things with that burn. 1) I highly suspect 8cfm will not handle that temp with damp twigs and 2) I need to change my intake (which might help the temps as well as the burn). However while the cook took longer than I wanted it too - it was mighty fine pecan smoked chicken.

What is the current consensus on intake hole height and the height of the basket bottom? I think if I could blow under the basket bottom I would get a much more even burn.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #4652
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

My barrels all run a 2" pipe to the bottom centre of my basket. I get a nice even burn and with all my experimenting this is the best for my UDS. However you don't see any commercial smokers doing this so a BGE vent on a UDS would probably do as well and look cleaner than plumbing hanging out. My basket is 2 1/2" off the bottom.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #4653
rau916
Found some matches.

[QUOTE=country bear;1133793]Hey all!

There is a 2" chimney on the top and I am waiting for rain cap off an old tractor to come in the mail that will go on top as a damper.

Bear,

I am just getting started on my barrel and wonder if there is an advantage to one large exhaust or many small holes drilled into the lid? How much exhaust is too much exhaust? I don't know how anybody could read this thread and not want a UDS all their own..
rau916 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #4654
rau916
Found some matches.

Default Basket

I have a 17" diameter weber grate. I was planning to wrap it with expanded metal for the fire basket. Some on this thread have mentioned that this is too wide. Is there a perfect dimension for the fire basket
rau916 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #4655
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

[QUOTE=rau916;1135349]
Quote:
Originally Posted by country bear View Post
Hey all!

There is a 2" chimney on the top and I am waiting for rain cap off an old tractor to come in the mail that will go on top as a damper.

Bear,

I am just getting started on my barrel and wonder if there is an advantage to one large exhaust or many small holes drilled into the lid? How much exhaust is too much exhaust? I don't know how anybody could read this thread and not want a UDS all their own..
I like having a single, closeable exhaust so I can shut the smoker down quickly after a cook. If you close all of the intakes and exhaust, the fire will shut down quickly, and you can salvage quite a bit of charcoal.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #4656
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Yup I do what Mushcreek does then wait a few days then bag and store back in the UDS just to be safe.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #4657
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo View Post
My barrels all run a 2" pipe to the bottom centre of my basket. I get a nice even burn and with all my experimenting this is the best for my UDS. However you don't see any commercial smokers doing this so a BGE vent on a UDS would probably do as well and look cleaner than plumbing hanging out. My basket is 2 1/2" off the bottom.
"a BGE vent on a UDS would probably do as well and look cleaner than plumbing hanging out"

Use one on mine and works good.

Paul B
SS UDS

Bottom view:
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #4658
bingo1912
Take a breath!

Thank you for the info, I would like to point out that I just got here tho,,,,lol
Always eager to learn

Old 01-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #4659
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
"a BGE vent on a UDS would probably do as well and look cleaner than plumbing hanging out"

Paul B
SS UDS

Bottom view:
Sweet...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #4660
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rau916 View Post
I have a 17" diameter weber grate. I was planning to wrap it with expanded metal for the fire basket. Some on this thread have mentioned that this is too wide. Is there a perfect dimension for the fire basket

I used the 17" weber grate and ran my expanded about 1 inch in from the edge. It works well, lots of room. The other day I did a tri tip at 300* and banked the coals on one side and placed the tritip so it was indirect. Fantastic. If the basket is too big you can always overlap it to make it smaller, if you don't weld it.
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #4661
country bear
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
Nice drum Bear. Any issues with temp control from the intake being so high?
No issues with temp. I was foolin' with the valve and caps and got it to run between 250 and 320 depending where I set it. The only problem was that it seemed to burn out after 6-7 hours. Maybe I just need to play with it some more.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #4662
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by country bear View Post
No issues with temp. I was foolin' with the valve and caps and got it to run between 250 and 320 depending where I set it. The only problem was that it seemed to burn out after 6-7 hours. Maybe I just need to play with it some more.
"Burning out" meaning all the charcoal was burned up, or the fire went out and plenty of coals were left unlit?

What is the design of your charcoal box? Did you shake it occasionally to keep the air intake from being blocked by ashes?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #4663
millsy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post

Paul B
SS UDS

Bottom view:
Where are you guy's getting the BGE vent's from

Old 01-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #4664
schellter
Full Fledged Farker

Default BGE Stainless Draft Door

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

Old 01-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #4665
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsy View Post
Where are you guy's getting the BGE vent's from
Also, Fred's Music and BBQ Supply has them for $40 for the large/medium. They have the small and Extra Large sizes too.

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/STAI..._p/bgessmd.htm

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker