So I tried the 3-2-1 method and.....

SC_Dave

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
they were over-done.

My wife brought home some country style pork ribs. I was cooking two butts anyway and had room so I through them on too.

Smoker at 275. Ribs cooked for roughly 3 hrs, pulled and wrapped adding a little apple juice, a little brown sugar and a little butter. Back on for a little less than 2 hrs. Unwarpped dusted with rub, back on for less than an hour. They were over done for sure.

Should I have shortened the cook time because I had the smoker at 275*?

Help and info appreciated.
SC

275 degrees is way to high for a strict 3-2-1. This method works best when your temps are at the traditional low and slow ranges of 220-230. Once you get higher than that, you need to adjust the length of time the meat stays in the foil, or you will wind up with way over-cooked meat.

I think there are more my-ribs-were-mushy-and-overcooked-using-the-3-2-1-method threads than there are which-color-thermapen-is-the-fastest threads. :tsk:

Yeah, what everyone else says, lower the temp or shorten the times. The best thing about the 3-2-1 method is the name. It's easy to remember and sounds really cool. :thumb: .... unfortunately....

:doh:

As said.....3-2-1 is a "plan" or "guide".
It's also typically at 225ish, not 275.
It's also typically for spare or back ribs, not country style (which as also said, are really pieces of pork butt, not ribs at all.

Keep trying.
Adjust as necessary.
You'll get it.

I have done a 3-2-1 for country style ribs and they come out great. I'd give them another try at the lower temps and then see what you think.

My wife brought home some country style pork ribs.

I was cooking two butts anyway and had room so I through them on too.

Country ribs are not ribs at all, they are cut from the loin side of the shoulder and are better when cooked fast and hot (like a loin or a chop). I made the mistake several times when they first started marking them as "Country Ribs" many many years ago.

well im just gonna say it ...if im cooking for me and my friends ...fall off the bone ribs rock ...yes i said that ...i dont compete so why do i need to get the perfect bite thru rib ...its all about the taste not about the pull theres about a 15 minute window you have between the difference

I'm surprised they are still your friends. Do you serve them dry brisket, too?

Just kidding of course. Sort of. :mrgreen:

maybe I do but everyone loves it ((shrugs)) I think to many people watch BBQ pit masters and get all entwined in what judges say ...Im just saying I have never went to a restaurant and seen perfect bite ribs ...BUT i have seen fall off the bone ribs ...not saying that the way to do it but these chains are making MILLIONS off them ....ARE YOU ...IM NOT ...if your not competing then just cook great BBQ thats all that matters ...was it good for you and the people eating it ...END GAME

+1 for what Smitty does. Sometimes I'll actually reverse sear them a bit and then throw them in a pan on the pit at 275 with some sauce, butter, ACV, and every now and then brown sugar...they turn out perfect every time.

3-2-1 is sort of like the pirate code.. It's more like a set of guidelines..

That being said. I can't count the number of threads where people have overcooked their ribs trying this, or simply had a bad result. I always try to steer people away from getting in the habit of thinking they need to foil ribs for a good result. Simpler is better for me. No foil, no spritz, no mop, no peeking. Just cook 'em till they are done.

And that goes for country style ribs also. I just use a toothpick and my eyeballs to determine when they are "done"

That's right. How can one see what the meats doing if its wrapped in foil? :mrgreen:

Back