Wood Slabs

U

ulikadawgs

has anyone ever used wood slabs from a sawmill? I can get a bundle (defined as a big truck load) of hickory slabs for $30. I think that the slabs are the bark sides of the wood that the sawmill can't really use.

I haven't used them myself but a lot of BBQ joints around Western Ky use them.

If KC be here, he'd be the expert, but i think i remember him saying as long as they are not treated in anyway, they're fine... cept if they're kiln dried, they gonna burn real quick. Theres a thread somewhere around here about using sawmill, cabinet and furniture wood.

My nephew used to get me hickory slabs at a local mill. Most mills cut wood green and de-bark it. I should ask him about hickory again, I do have about 10 cords of green cherry for the future.

We call them "laps" but they're all pine around here. And it is usually all bark. If you can get hickory laps with a good amount of wood on em, try em.

I used to heat my house with em. Up here it's cottonwood so no good for cooking with. If they are fresh from the mill they will be water soaked. Just give them time to cure and you got some nice wood.

Slabs are the outer parts of the tree cut off to square the log up before cutting into lumber or cross ties. Depending on whether the mill has and uses a de-barker or not they may or may not have bark on them. They will be cut green and not have any chemicals on them.

Just remember they're going to be ~8ft long and will need to be cut to length and split to size too.

Bearing these things in mind they'll work just fine. Wish I had a good local supply of 'em.

Is there an age for wood to be good to smoke with? Assumin not green, can it be to old? Scott

Depending on condotions anywhere wrom 6 months to a year for curing. As far as to old, if it's not punky, or moldy you can go ahead and use it, it will just lose some of it's flavoring ability.

I've got a lot of white oak lumber I bought from an Amish sawmill. Some of it I never got around to using and now it's so hard it breaks drill bits. Makes great smoking wood.

If the bark is thick cut it off. If not then leave it on unless it's moldy.

Back