THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'll have to check that guy out. I liked his brisket video

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I guess I'm gonna have to do another pork butt tonight. I just bought 6 of those kryo-packs for .99/lb.

I normally trim the fat a bit or remove the fat after cooking. What do you guys do?

I remove any hard fat before cooking. Then after its rested I remove what I can find for health reasons.

^^^That is normally how I do it. The one time I did leave the fat it kinda made the meat bland tasting, but it retained moisture a lot longer, ya know for the leftovers. Then again, maybe I didn't season the meat enough.

I agree

I rub and throw it on, no foil

they are very forgiving

probably the easiest cut of meat, as long a you are patient

I dont even put them in the cooler.

Usually I just stick it in the fridge after its done, then the next day, I out it in a roaster and heat it in the oven until its hot and soft, then pull it

The only reason I foil is to retain the juices to use for a sauce to pour back over the meat after I pull it. But now I have started using butcher paper instead of foil..

Odd thing is - I live in Texas. I shop for meat in Texas. And between RD, Costco, Sam's, and a couple other places I've never seen a Pork Shoulder with bone in. Unless I go to the butcher, I've kind of given up on it.

Anyone in the Dallas / Wylie area have any suggestions.

salt pepper onion garlic paprika. All you ever need for pork or poultry.

I would of run away with that pan of pork too.

His total cook time was only 8 hours. Like that.

I guess I'm gonna have to do another pork butt tonight. I just bought 6 of those kryo-packs for .99/lb.

I normally trim the fat a bit or remove the fat after cooking. What do you guys do?

If there is a thick fat cap, I trim most of it off, so I'm smoking meat, not fat. The butt he had didn't have a ton of fat on it. I probably would do what he did with that butt.

CD

Odd thing is - I live in Texas. I shop for meat in Texas. And between RD, Costco, Sam's, and a couple other places I've never seen a Pork Shoulder with bone in. Unless I go to the butcher, I've kind of given up on it.

Anyone in the Dallas / Wylie area have any suggestions.

The butts at COSTCO are boneless. I don't know why.

However, I also find nice butts from time-to-time at Kroger, and they have bones. When I do, I but one or two, and freeze them.

BTW, I can't tell any difference in flavor between bone-in and boneless. I just like the bone to use as my doneness indicator, as Aaron mentioned.

CD

The butts at COSTCO are boneless. I don't know why.

However, I also find nice butts from time-to-time at Kroger, and they have bones. When I do, I but one or two, and freeze them.

BTW, I can't tell any difference in flavor between bone-in and boneless. I just like the bone to use as my doneness indicator, as Aaron mentioned.

CD

I have never seen one in the store without the bone. I as well use the bone for a done ness indicator. :grin:

glad to see Aaron finally learned what I had been teaching him he'll get there with some more practice haha (just kidding) great video will definitely watch the others

Back