MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #31
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Couldn't agree with you more. I don't get why there is a flurry of PBC threads either.

I guess it is a standardized cooker that appeals to folks who are unable to build a UDS for whatever reason? I find it hard to imagine that cost is one of those reasons though. A UDS can be built pretty cheaply, definitely less than $225, unless you are going for an SS drum or fancy graphics.

Folks who built a drum would probably find it easy enough to add some holes, rebar, and hooks to find out if the hanging meat really cooks differently from the usual lay-it-on-the-grate method.

Oh well, maybe I'll learn something new.
From threads ive been reading the PBC seems to be the 'set it and forget it' type of cooker. The maker has taken a lot of the guess work out of cooking on it and that seems to be the major appeal.

The main difference I see in the PBC and UDS is powder coating, besides that they are essential the same except for the drum size. Anyone can add rebars and a couple of holes for hanging but you would need to take it to someone for powder coating.
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #32
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Couldn't agree with you more. I don't get why there is a flurry of PBC threads either.
It's new and the grilling.com coupon code made it more affordable, so many members are just getting them. When the UDS concept was new there was a flurry of thread about them, when the Akorn was new there was a flurry of thread about them, etc.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #33
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
Okay fair enough. I still don't think the powder coat truly insulates the entire cooker in the traditional sense. Could it help? Sure but I'll put more blue chips on it being mostly because of the smaller size of the drum. There is less air that the fire has to heat and can heat the air that is there faster and more evenly. Just my opinion.
Sorry it wasn't at the beginning. Didn't know that would make a difference. Most readers read the ENTIRE post before they respond to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
I would have a disclaimer and say its your opinion at the beginning of your post, lots of people reading your post will think you are stating that as fact. Its good to backup what you say with proof instead of opinion alone.

Fact: powder coating does provide thermal insulation.

Opinion: the smaller size and gauge of the steel provides the insulation.

Just curious, do you even know the actual gauge of the steel on the PBC to be even making that statement?
Though powder coating provides insulation, it isn't the sole factor that makes the PBC's temp so stable. I was just stating MY OPINION (and still am) as to what I think the other clues to the puzzle MIGHT be, which again, were the gauge of the steel (which no, I don't specifically know off hand. It is still thicker than most other cheapo offsets or ECBs and is the same as my other UDS regardless of what gauge it specifically is.) and the 30 gal size. Just my opinion yet again.

Not trying to start any chit, just a little disgruntled...

(Sorry to hijack.)

Old 02-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #34
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I don't see how that would be any better than regular high heat paint. Powder coat isn't insulating it so the rock steady temps are more likely due to the smaller drum size and the gauge of the steel.
This is the post I was talking about that needed the disclaimer. It doesnt sound like opinion, you basically stated that powder coating does not provide thermal insulation when it actually does. Then you go on to say that its the gauge of the steel when you dont even know what gauge of steel is actually on the PBC.

Would it be fair to say you are talking out of turn and that my replies were warranted?

Old 02-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #35
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I think the nice layer of gunk inside the barrel walls help stabilize temps and also insulate as well.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #36
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I think I need to take a break from these threads....

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #37
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
This is the post I was talking about that needed the disclaimer. It doesnt sound like opinion, you basically stated that powder coating does not provide thermal insulation when it actually does. Then you go on to say that its the gauge of the steel when you dont even know what gauge of steel is actually on the PBC.

Would it be fair to say you are talking out of turn and that my replies were warranted?
In the sense of BBQing this is insulating.

Not to say powder coat isn't used to insulate it.

On the flip of the coin too, can you prove that its the powder coat that insulates it and makes the temps so rock steady?? That is what you originally posted was it not? I simply gave you feedback saying, and sorry for not clarifying that it was my opinion and not fact, that in the sense of BBQing, powder coat may not be insulating the PBC, or since you corrected me, may not be doing it well. I was saying that there are other factors to consider whether they be factually supportable or not. That is the jist of what I was trying to get at. I guess I failed.

Last edited by flyingbassman5; 02-04-2013 at 09:51 PM..
flyingbassman5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #38
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
It's new and the grilling.com coupon code made it more affordable, so many members are just getting them. When the UDS concept was new there was a flurry of thread about them, when the Akorn was new there was a flurry of thread about them, etc.
True. There were many many threads about the tamale pot mini WSM for quite some time. But all of those were pretty radical (IMO) cookers... and at reasonable price points. The PBC is the UDS redux, but I can see how many folks would like the "set it and forget it" factor.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #39
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Actually, I think there is a difference between a 55 gallon drum UDS and a 30 gallon drum UDS. The simple difference of the ratio of height to diameter makes a difference. And I would like a PBC, but, I simply do not have time or space to justify one, despite that coupon. And the cool pig logo.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #40
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Actually, I think there is a difference between a 55 gallon drum UDS and a 30 gallon drum UDS. The simple difference of the ratio of height to diameter makes a difference. And I would like a PBC, but, I simply do not have time or space to justify one, despite that coupon. And the cool pig logo.
I knew it would happen if I hung around here long enough... a light bulb just went off in my head!

You're absolutely right - different size cookers do cook differently. My midi drum cooks differently from my 55gal UDS. Since 30 gal drums are really hard to find (in Texas at least - I had to buy my 30gal drum online), buying a prefab PBC makes sense. I don't think I realized that the size was 30gal. That's a great size for a cooker - not too big, not too small.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #41
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

caliking, think about that UDS-tandoor you have, think about how much different it cooks, even though the outside diameter is a 55 gallon drum, the inside is quite different. A tandoor that does not taper to the top, cooks different.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #42
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
In the sense of BBQing this is insulating.

Not to say powder coat isn't used to insulate it.

On the flip of the coin too, can you prove that its the powder coat that insulates it and makes the temps so rock steady?? That is what you originally posted was it not? I simply gave you feedback saying, and sorry for not clarifying that it was my opinion and not fact, that in the sense of BBQing, powder coat may not be insulating the PBC, or since you corrected me, may not be doing it well. I was saying that there are other factors to consider whether they be factually supportable or not. That is the jist of what I was trying to get at. I guess I failed.
When all else is equal except for the size of the drum and a powder coating, it doesnt take a genius to put two and two together, especially when we know for a fact powder coating provides insulation. I am not assuming the gauge of the steel and coming to conclusions, do you see where im going with this?

Ive derailed this thread enough, we can agree to disagree about the insulating properties of powder coating. You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:19 AM   #43
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Guys-

the pbc holds rock steady temps b/c you put the exact same amount of the exact same charcoal in each time in a cooker with the exact same preset vents. he drum is also somewhat efficient. Therefore you get the exact same temp held out for an extended period of time. Powder coating and the like might have a little to do with it, but it can't be as big as the previous points.

Also- in regards to Uds's, I havent seen many charcoal baskets that were as beefy as the PBC's. The thing is built to withstand natural disasters.

But, you could probably do the same thing in a wsm if you set the vents in a certain place. However, I would still probably recommend getting a pbc unless you already have a wsm/too much other stuff.

Last edited by Trumpstylz; 02-05-2013 at 05:03 AM..
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #44
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbutcher1 View Post
14 " diameter x 27 " high.
Just a fYI, the PBC is a 30 gallon drum, not 15 gallon. All standard weber 18" cooking grates will drop right in. Oh I hope I didn't give away any trade secrets!

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #45
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

What's all the fuss aboot, eh?