MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #16
mbshop
Babbling Farker

one should never stop learning or trying differant things. the way i cook now was from trying things and observing things. course reading here keeps the juices flowing.

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #17
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Rules are made to be broken :-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #18
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great responses. I look at tradition as a solid foundation for cooking, but get a kick out of trying new things. I love the old school results, but also love tasting something new and different.

I made a farking turkey burger for a throwdown entry last week, and was totally caught off guard when I actually liked it -- a lot. I never saw that coming.

I love good food surprises. I love that "wow, I didn't see that coming" moment when you eat something you didn't think you would like, but once you eat it, you do like it.

I just wonder how many brethren see food as a never ending adventure. I hope I never stop discovering new things to eat.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #19
buccaneer

I stick to normal things

Old 11-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #20
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

I grew up thinking you had to "mop and slop" your Q to cook it so it would have taste and not be dried out. When it was finally done, the cook was "done" also. Usually to the point that he had to sit at a table by himself, or eat outside.

After researching and reading this forum, I discovered Fatties, (Who woulda thought something called a "fattie" would be edible? Why would you want your smoke to be thin and blue instead of smoking like a diesel truck with a bad injector? Why would you burn your food up, cooking it above 225 degrees?

And then, I discovered the UDS, and agonized over not getting to peek at the food every 10 minutes. Surely you can't cook something for 8 to 10 hours without looking at it, or expect it to not be dry as shoe leather when you take it out.
And what is this about "resting" your meat after cooking it half a day? I am the one needing to rest after worrying about whether or not it will be edible. The people waiting to eat are ready to eat NOW!

Why would you use different wood flavors to cook with, a burning stick is a burning stick, right? Who cares what the temp is at the grate level, or even more the temp of the meat you are cooking. We never worried about all this 50 years ago when I started cooking over these new fangeled Briquets.

Just some thoughts to ponder....

Omar

Old 11-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #21
Phubar

Phreestyler!!!

http://vimeo.com/13904756

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 03:18 AM   #22
Clayfish
Full Fledged Farker

Still playing catch-up on traditional methods but farking around with anything new I feel like.

It's only food!
22" WSM, 22" OTG, [COLOR=navy][B]Jumbo Joe[/B][/COLOR], WSJ, Mini WSM, WGA, Maverick ET-732, [COLOR=red][B]Red [/B][/COLOR]Thermapen and a twelve year old gasser which hasn't come out of the shed since I got a taste of charcoal!
Clayfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 05:04 AM   #23
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

I'm really just a newb when it comes to grillin and smokin. My approach is to find what works for people, get that down and then start changing it up - a tweak here, a tweak there. I love to experiment and I am finding this is a perfect hobby (obsession?) to do just that.
Ex-pat Canadian

[B][COLOR=Red]When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???[/COLOR][/B]
bmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #24
tpope
Full Fledged Farker

My food has no style... just loads of class!
tpope is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #25
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

As far as the grilling side of things, I have been grilling for over 30 years, and do pretty good I think. This site I must say has helped me tweak things here and there to improve and have certainly expaned my abilities in that area. My dad, and everybody else in my family for that matter, any time they would take their steaks, chops or whatever else they had to throw on the grill, they always called it BBQ. Now in the last couple of years, and especially after finding this forum, I have a much clearer understanding of Q and grilling. So in the whole scope of things I am quite the newbie as far as BBQ is concerned, but I must say I am having a blast with it.
I still have a lot to figure out as far as "rules" go, and the differences between the "old traditional" and the way things have evolved, but I love cooking so it is a lot of fun along the way.
Overall, I just love good food. And to your point CD about the "I didn't see that coming" moments, aren't those just great moments!
I also really enjoy the back and forth that goes on here in the forum at times between the "traditionalists" if you will and the "new age" Q'ers in here, There is a whole lot to be learned and tried, the biggie for me is to enjoy the trip!

Great post CD, I hope to see a lot more responses from both sides of the Q world in here.

Thanks!
And by the way, I am 56 and still play with my food! LOL

Last edited by code3rrt; 11-29-2012 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: no good reason.
code3rrt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #26
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

I don't believe there are too many hard and fast rules. I am not even sure what really counts as traditional. Meat on a stick over an open fire? Dig a hole? Stickburner?

The way I see it, BBQ is a goal oriented deal, and that is to achieve tender, moist meat from a cut that should otherwise be hard to eat. There are so many ways to get there that you cannot simply say that one way is the correct way. BBQ has gone from hot and fast, to low and slow and back to hot and fast to some. The only wrong answer would be for somebody to say that they way they do it is the only way to go.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #27
jestridge

There are no rules!!!
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #28
Wampus

I firmly believe that the reason something is called a "proven method" is because it's just that.....proven and once something is proven, then that's what I try and stick to.

I also firmly believe that if, once in a while, someone didn't think outside of the box of said "proven methods" then we'd never have things like BBQ in the first place and we'd all be doing the same thing as everyone else.

So....in answer to your question......YES and YES.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #29
Sub-80
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Great responses. I look at tradition as a solid foundation for cooking, but get a kick out of trying new things. I love the old school results, but also love tasting something new and different.

I made a farking turkey burger for a throwdown entry last week, and was totally caught off guard when I actually liked it -- a lot. I never saw that coming.

I love good food surprises. I love that "wow, I didn't see that coming" moment when you eat something you didn't think you would like, but once you eat it, you do like it.

I just wonder how many brethren see food as a never ending adventure. I hope I never stop discovering new things to eat.

CD
I hear you on that...I used to think 'turkey' and 'burger' could not coexist in the same sentence...or meal. But my neighbor made me think differently. He's the turkey burger king. Well, he was until I found a way to make turkey burgers that I actually 'crave'. I've challenged him to a throwdown...he's accepted...date to be determined...but I will win
Sub-80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #30
aawa
Babbling Farker

I am one for learning the traditional ways of cooking, but then taking what I have learned and trying different techniques/flavor profiles etc.

I think in most things it is good to respect the traditional methods but there is nothing wrong with spinning the traditional to make things into your own.