Brisket Burgers?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
How many of you guys have ground pure brisket (packer) for burgers and liked the results?

I'm planning on grinding a small packer. The only real question I'm mulling over is whether or not it needs to be mixed with some other cut like sirloin or chuck for texture and or taste.

Thanks.

I have done it several times with good results. Great beefy flavors. Only thing I have noticed is that the flat is a little short on fat, and can at times can make crumbly patties. I would recommend not trimming the brisket and spreading the fat throughout the lean. :mrgreen:

Kapn,

Sounds like you have done straight brisket and a mixture based on those two threads. What's your preference? Pure brisket or mixed with ribeye etc?

Just to add to the thread, has anyone tossed out the bulk of the fatcap and used cheap bacon instead?

I personally like to grind chuck for burger but its always a price thing, find a good deal first.

Straight brisket does not make a good burger. Needs at least 25% ground chuck or something similiar to add some fat.

Dry hockeypucks.

I prefer chuck for burgers. I'd smoke the brisket as it is.

I love Brisket for burgers. Its actually even cheaper than chuck over here.
When i get US Brisket the Fat Ratio and Texture is usually right. The beef they raise over here is way too lean and needs extra fat.

Heres how i made Briscon Burgers, Brisket with Bacon :razz:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60466

DM

Kapn,

Sounds like you have done straight brisket and a mixture based on those two threads. What's your preference? Pure brisket or mixed with ribeye etc?

They are not mixed!

El Cheapo RibEye is what I call steak burgers.
Brisket is pure brisket. Ground beef NIRVANA to us.

And, I can see no reason to add fat to brisket.
In fact, if one reads the "yield" thread, I actually discard some of the fat.
Brisket fat is like no other--pure white and stands up well while rendering during the cooking.

But then, I like things simple and try to KISS and not muckied up with steps and ingredients. :grin:

TIM

I have ground up whole packers with all of the fat trimmed off and it still takes a careful hand to keep them together in the pan. But I think it is by far the best tasting. Next time I would probably add a little chuck.

Grinding my own burger is the only way I can eat them medium rare because I know the meat hasn't been subject to an bad environments.

I have ground up whole packers with all of the fat trimmed off and it still takes a careful hand to keep them together in the pan. But I think it is by far the best tasting. Next time I would probably add a little chuck.

Grinding my own burger is the only way I can eat them medium rare because I know the meat hasn't been subject to an bad environments.
I chill them for a few hours in the freezer and they hold together on the grill.

Back