What have I gotten myself into??

dupemaster

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have been smoking meat for years, but have just recently had a desire to do it better.

It all started with a little Weber kettle grill that I rigged up to smoke with. Went to a Kingsford barrel grill that I ended up modifying to optimize smoking.

Two months ago, I snapped!

I went in search for knowledge. I thought to myself "There are car forums and gun forums, there must be BBQ forums?" Punched it into the google machine and ended up here. I read for two solid weeks. Looking for the best type of smoker.

Now I find myself building a smoker out of a coupe of drums. I know I could have just built a UDS, but where's the fun in that? I settled on an offset reverse flow drum smoker.

I snagged a couple coolant drums from work.
96D1E571-F698-4C4F-8B00-63DDA61AACA0-10402-0000041D11A104C8.jpg

Cut and clean!
3C7D508C-F2BC-433F-87A7-1654594C6294-10402-0000041D1FAA3865.jpg

Stuck together.
CA8D6ABB-1DEC-491D-9F54-BE78B92E8569-10402-0000041D3093AE55.jpg

Lid flange finished.
04B072EE-30D9-45B1-93EE-E34075E81EA5-10402-0000041D40099023.jpg

Stand.
CHI_0896.jpg

Cut and welded in a 1/8 inch plate.
CHI_0932.jpg

Chains for hinges (I think I'll call it The Chain Smoker)
CHI_0931.jpg

Stack pulled out of the trash bin at work.
CHI_0928.jpg

Where it's at as of today.
CHI_0921.jpg

I have now been working on this thing for a month on my weekends. I'm not a welder or fabricator by any means. It been frustrating blowing through the thin walls of the drums using my little flux core welder. I wish I had a better work space and maybe a few more tools. I've got to build the grill, put a door on the firebox and add some thermometers and it'll be ready to go!

If I had to do it all over again I'd use a 22' x1/4 steel pipe. Or just build a UDS.

My name is Jesse, and I'm addicted to BBQ.

Welcome to our addiction Jesse! Great job with the RF smoker, don't forget to show us the final product in action.

looks Great I like the chain hinges and handles and the thin wall is a B!tch ta weld while you are learning to weld :wink: lets see that thing cookin

Looking forward to seeing the build... and the pron! Keep us in the loop, great job so far!

fur sure....welcome to the group.....with that size fire box you could probably do cooks that last a couple days......wow. Can't wait to hear how it produces.

And who ever said snapping was always a bad thing! My kinda action going on here! Nice work! :thumb:

Cheers

Very nice. Keep putting up pictures, I'm really interested to see how this goes.

I would fire it up before you finish it and see how it holds heat. Being so thin it could be a major fuel hog.

Oh it's going to suck some fuel, but there's no reason it won't work. As long as it seals up decent it should be some fun.

That's shaping up to be a nice smoker, I'd feed that thing wood! :thumb:

Cool project, show us some pics after you cook on it and let us know how it works. Dont think I ever seen a RF drum.

Thanks for the comments guys!

The hope behind the reverse flow is that the plate will help keep the temps even. I will be doing a burn this weekend finished or not just to see if that's true. I know it's gonna be a fuel hog with the thin walls, but it should be air tight when I'm finished so airflow shouldn't be too much of a problem.

My neighbor suggested getting a water heater blanket to help out with heat loss. Will that be enough? I don't know.

All I know is that I'm excited to give it a try! There will be plenty of pics of finished product.

Nice job :thumb:
If you had built a UDS, you would already be finished and enjoying a fattie and moinks along with a cold brew.:redface:

Back