Contest Announcment Smoketoberfest BBQ Challange Hagerstown MD 10/19-10/20/12

Firefighting BBQ Team will be there!!!! It only gives us one day to clean up, shop and prep before leaving for the Jack!!!! But I wouldn't miss this for anything!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

How does this compare to Go Naked?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

How does this compare to Go Naked?

It is a full blown KCBS comp!!!! There are 2 links on the KCBS webpage. The second one list Hagerstown as the location. There were a few problems at the camp site in Pa. Sooooo it has been moved to Hagerstown airport. Can't wait!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

It is a full blown KCBS comp!!!! There are 2 links on the KCBS webpage. The second one list Hagerstown as the location. There were a few problems at the camp site in Pa. Sooooo it has been moved to Hagerstown airport. Can't wait!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

That much I know :) We did Go Naked earlier this year and were... underwhelmed. Same organizer, so we're concerned. (The other option for us is Shenandoah.)

That much I know :) We did Go Naked earlier this year and were... underwhelmed. Same organizer, so we're concerned. (The other option for us is Shenandoah.)

We have been at the Smoketoberfest comp the past two years and can attest that it is a top notch competition. I have yet to do the Go Naked comp, but that's like comparing apples to oranges. Somketoberfest is well run and well organized.

Based on the email I got, this year is looking like it may be the best yet. From the email...

Hey there BBQ'ers!

Sorry it has taken this long, but it's official - the last, best (OK
that's subjective!) competition in the Mid-Atlantic is
on....*_Smoketoberfest 2012 IS BACK BABY!

_*After a great 3 year run at Rhodes Grove Camp and Conference Center in
Chambersburg, PA, we decided that the event had grown out of that venue
and we began searching for a new home. It took a while and some back
and forth haggling with permits, TSA, FAA, and various other governing
bodies...but we found a new home at the Hagerstown Regional Airport! A
great, small local airport, we will be taking over one of the runways
and setting up a bigger, badder competition for 2012! Amongst other new
things, we are having a fly-in as part of the event and small aircraft
from around the country will be flying in and taking off all
day...offering free rides to kids! Pretty cool stuff!

As with tradition, all proceeds from Smoketoberfest will go directly to
the Make-A-Wish Foundation to grant wishes for local children with life
threatening and life altering illnesses. We have been able to raise
over $45,000 in the past three years and hope to do more this year!

This year there will be an expanded vendor area as we are including an
Arts Festival as a part of the event. We will also have a bigger Kidz
Zone and music will play a much bigger part of Smoketoberfest as we have
partnered with BigBob 101.5, WAYZ Country 101.7, and NOW 92.1. There
will be a free concert for all teams on Friday night with a "known" band
- yet to be determined.

Always a concern in the past, Smoketoberfest 2012 will have a Beer Tent
on-site and alcohol rules will be greatly relaxed compared to previous
events. Red cup policies will be encouraged, but alcohol is no longer
taboo at Smoketoberfest!

We are now a MD State Championship and a qualifier for all the big
comps! Also, as in year's past, if you register for Smoketoberfest and
happen to get into the Jack (OCT 27th) or qualified for the Sam's Club
Final (OCT 13th) and need to practice or are too tired to come, we will
be happy (OK, not happy...but understanding) to refund your entry fee to
Smoketoberfest.

We are currently working to get the website up to speed, but in the
meantime, I thought I would send out apps to all the teams who have
competed in the past or expressed interest in competing. Please feel
free to call me at the store if you have any questions or concerns!

Thanks.

--
Have a great day.

- Eric

spoke with Eric this weekend and has has the govenors prolamation in hand.it looks like things are moving along well.

Rockin' Robyn's is in!

Looking forward to seeing all of our friends!

Smoketoberfest cancellation

Hi there BBQ’rs!

It’s with great regret that I have to announce that Smoketoberfest 2012 has been cancelled!

As many of you know, we were having this year’s event at the Hagerstown Regional Airport in Hagerstown, MD. We were excited to be able to provide an exciting venue with a Fly-in, Vintage Air Show, Open cockpit plane rides, etc. After receiving prior approval from the FAA, TSA (let me tell you that was mess), and others, we moved forward with working through the logistics – power, water, liquor license, insurances, etc. – and advertising to make our event successful and be able to make a substantial contribution to Make-A-Wish.

Unfortunately, last Tuesday we received word from the FAA that our approval was being withdrawn due to security concerns at the airport on October 19-20th; the weekend of Smoketoberfest. After some hasty phone calls and emails, we appealed the FAA decision and after a week of going back and forth, we just received word that the FAA is sticking to their decision not to allow us to use the airport.

While they can’t officially tell us why or how it’s a security risk… in a nutshell, they have mentioned on several calls that we are very close to Camp David and while HRA is a small airport, it just added a new runway specifically to accommodate 747’s (one 747 in particular) and is a designated landing site for Air Force One. If you connect the dots, you can see what I mean and when that happens, the airport is shutdown on Saturday for 5 hours and Friday is dedicated to TSA, Secret Service, etc. emergency drills and inspections.

We have considered moving Smoketoberfest to another venue, but this close to the event, it’s not logistically possible to pickup and move and be remotely organized at all! As this is/was the 4th year I’ve organized Smoketoberfest, I decided I would rather cancel it than have it be half-assed.

All teams who are entered will be re-imbursed in full within the next 2 weeks. All judges will also be contacted.

We are hoping to have the event again next year in late May/Early June, but will have to look as to not impact other area comps that are going on then. We will have to come up with a new name too – any thoughts?

Thanks to all the Brethren who have supported us over the past few years and helped us raise over $40,000 for Make-A-Wish. We hope to see you next year when we reorganize!

Oh man, that sucks.

One more reason to dislike politicians!!! They screw with BBQ!!!

Will you honor the go naked winners free entries for the next year? This sucks btw, was looking forward to it!

Man, sorry to hear about this event being cancelled. We attended last year and had a blast and were likely going to sign up this year again.

I rec'd the email annoucement too, please keep us on the list for future communications regarding next year.

Back