• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS build crossroads...

NRF

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
First, Thanks to all for what I have learned thus far.

My UDS build has begun. Burned off the paint, wire wheeled inside and out- painted the outside and "oiled" the inside with cooking spray.

My wallyworld kettle grill lid will not fit without either cutting off the lip of the drum, or basically flattening the lip of the kettle lid. I discovered- while painting the bottom, that the kettle lid fits the bottom perfectly. So...

I can obviously cut out the bottom and make it the top- but I worry about the lid leaking too much air making my cooker uncontrollable. This was an open head drum, with a somewhat bulky locking ring- ring should be no problem if I either add casters, or simply set drum upon properly spaced blocks. Making the top the bottom may make the drum easier to clean (?)

Remove the gasket and run a bead of high temp silicon- hopefully sealing the lid ( bottom ) ? I am trying to make my way through the monster that is the UDS thread- but I swear it grows the same amount that I can read each day...:crazy:

I call upon the Bretheren Drumheads for wisdom and thoughts. :hail:

Some folks like using the open top lid as the bottom because it makes it easier to clean out.

I would put casters on the lid, use it as the bottom, cut the bottom out and use the grill top as the.lid.

• Thanks
Reactions: NRF
Some folks like using the open top lid as the bottom because it makes it easier to clean out.

I would put casters on the lid, use it as the bottom, cut the bottom out and use the grill top as the.lid.

My next one will be built this way.....great suggestion!!

I built my first UDS that way and never regretted it. You will have to deal with the lip left from cutting it. It needs to be ground off. And a drum head cutter does the best job of cutting the drum open. It's been four years or more since I built it and no leaking issues. No sealant needed if you are carefull during the build.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
  • Thanks
JM Setzer posted here a few weeks ago with his method, it just may work for you, I'm going to give it a try on one of my drums with the same WM kettle lid as yours. He fastened a metal strip around the circumference of the inside of the drum.

• Thanks
JM Setzer posted here a few weeks ago with his method, it just may work for you, I'm going to give it a try on one of my drums with the same WM kettle lid as yours. He fastened a metal strip around the circumference of the inside of the drum.
I saw what he did, and actually was headed in that direction. I was going to cut the WM bottom thereby utilizing its sealing surfaces and "fit" it into my drum-space as needed and seal the remaining gap...that was the plan- until i had my drum sitting upside down- and it looked smaller. Tried my lid and it fits perfectly- just a tad snug even. Now here I sit, wondering do I go left or right.

Clamping my lid back on and making it my bottom seems to be the cleanest way to git-er-done but I'm just wondering how much air she will suck. May not be much after seasoning with a few cooks? I dunno- too noobie to know.:tongue:

I'd try his method, if it doesn't work for you flip it over and do it the other way.

I'd try his method, if it doesn't work for you flip it over and do it the other way.
Just looked at it again ( Thanks for the bump! ) And it really did come out sweet.

I have everything to do this already also. Aluminum strip, SS fasteners etc... decisions, decisions...

Luckily I did not hit this project full boar and drill my intakes already. It's not like I cannot do what you suggest and give it a try first.

I'll resolve the where is my bottom question and deal with the rest later.

Back