MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Looking for opinions: What do you have/need/want in your cooking area

Long story short, I have another project started that was born out of boredom. I had accumulated some metal store fixtures and other materials over the winter so I decided to build another cooking cart. The purpose of this is to have more of a modular design that can accommodate multiple cooker setups. It is not quite to the "reveal" level of completion but I want to get some opinions before it gets cleaned up an painted in case I need to do some more welding. On the right and left are areas that will house whatever cookers I want at that time and there will be removable doors like the left one shown below. Also, I should point out that the back of the cart will be peg board or some other way to hold commonly used items and all the work surfaces/cutting boards are removable and interchangeable. Total money invested so far: $23.

Current Project Codename: Colonel and the cart of many colors

Now, here is where I need some opinions. As you can see I have a permanent area in the middle that is a blank canvas. The current plan is a drawer up top and some cabinet doors and probably shelving. However, I want to do a little more and make this a self-contained, mobile cooking environment.

One thing I am thinking about is this battery operated, 4.8 gallon sprayer from HF. With a little modification I think it would work as an on-board rinsing system. Obviously its not going to rinse a bunch of meat. I am more thinking about when you need to rinse your hands or a cutting board quickly.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...yer-94573.html

I was also thinking about mounting a car battery in there to power silly extras like lights, fans, ipod/mp3 dock, street glow , etc. I have also thought about fitting a cooler in there but that almost seems like a waste of usable space. Although, one of thoseAmazon.com: Koolatron P9 Traveler III 9.8-Quart Electric Cooler/Warmer, Grey: Home & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418y-7lG5cL.@@AMEPARAM@@418y-7lG5cL you see for cars and semi's at a truck stop would be interesting. Let it run cook during the cook to keep the bee...um, soda cool and then warm it up a bit to rest meat.

So anyway, now I open it up to the brethren. What would you want or need during a cook of anything from a long cook on a UDS or WSM to grilling to cooking a pizza? I think I have most of the common sense stuff already in mind but feel free to list stuff anyway. Thanks in advance and thanks for looking.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
K-Barbecue
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

Definitely need a fridge full of beer !!

Old 07-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
AUradar
Full Fledged Farker

garabage can?
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Butt_Pirate
On the road to being a farker

fire extinguisher

Old 07-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Skidder
Babbling Farker

A tall blonde, a ticket out of here or maybe a huge bag of $100.00 bills all would work except for the tall blonde!
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
colonel00

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Barbecue View Post
Definitely need a fridge full of beer !!
Yeah, unfortunately even a small one would not fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUradar View Post
garabage can?
Definitely will work in some sort of sanitary containment system (trashcan).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt_Pirate View Post
fire extinguisher
Good call. This is one thing I had not thought about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
A tall blonde, a ticket out of here or maybe a huge bag of $100.00 bills all would work except for the tall blonde!
Sadly those are quite elusive. Usually it's more like a short, round blonde, a speeding ticket and a bag of bills.

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 07-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

I want a big farkin' sink and HOT water.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

I don't know if 12 v. is going to be enough for ya. Think bigger volts baby! you're gonna need'em!!

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
Boshizzle

A permanent cover overhead to diffuse the sun's rays and block rain.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
smokeyokie
is one Smokin' Farker

Tall Blonde!!!! I cant get past that....sorry guys that threw me off track
[SIZE=3]maverick ET 732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 really, I mean really UGLY Drum Smoker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]super fast RED and BLACK thermapens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]_____________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Billy:flame:"Smoke on Brothers and Sisters"[/SIZE]
smokeyokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
Me X2.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
colonel00

Quote:
Yeah, I thought about a sink. However, since this is always outside and I won't have large volumes of water, the ground should do fine. Hot water is easy, just put the water container close to a cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyclaw View Post
I don't know if 12 v. is going to be enough for ya. Think bigger volts baby! you're gonna need'em!!
I will probably wire main lights with 120V and have a reverse outlet where I can connect an extension cord. Mostly I am just thinking of the battery as a backup and aux power supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
A permanent cover overhead to diffuse the sun's rays and block rain.
There will definitely be something. My initial plan is a "lid" that can lift up with those nifty suv back window shocks. I also have a 10' x 10' canopy if things get nasty.

Thanks for the suggestions. Now if only I can work out the plan for an automated foot pedal UDS lid lifter...

Old 07-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #13
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Yeah, I thought about a sink. However, since this is always outside and I won't have large volumes of water, the ground should do fine. Hot water is easy, just put the water container close to a cooker
Nope. I'm getting old and TIRED of stooping over a wash tub or bus tub to wash grates, pans, etc. I do the wash tub/turkey fryer water thing now.

I reiterate: I want a great big farkin' sink with HOT water. I don't want to boil the water. I don't want to have to pick up a container. I want to open a tap and have it flow out -- geez modern plumbing in the back yard...who'd have thunk?

YMMV, but the question was what did I want/need!!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #14
colonel00

Quote:
Nope. I'm getting old and TIRED of stooping over a wash tub or bus tub to wash grates, pans, etc. I do the wash tub/turkey fryer water thing now.

I reiterate: I want a great big farkin' sink with HOT water. I don't want to boil the water. I don't want to have to pick up a container. I want to open a tap and have it flow out -- geez modern plumbing in the back yard...who'd have thunk?

YMMV, but the question was what did I want/need!!
Oh, I hear you loud and clear. Whenever I do build a built-in area in the back yard it definitely will be plumbed and have a HUGE sink . Unfortunately the premise behind this cart is something that can be used at home sure. But its also something that I can haul up to work and do a cook or to a buddies and cook in the cul-de-sac or maybe even comps someday if I should ever care to do them. You are correct though, the question is what do YOU want. It definitely gives me perspective on how other people function during their cooks.