Where to start?

El Scorcho

Got Wood.
Reaction score
The weather is finally starting to warm up, so I might get a chance to get my new Chargriller Outlaw ready. It's new, but it was already set up and sat for a while so it has some paint chips and a bit of rust in the ash pan that I need to tend to. To apply the high heat paint and treat the wood shelves, I need temps to be above 50, and I think the warmer weather will be here soon. Once I get that done I can season it and start smoking!

As a rookie to low and slow, what do I cook first?

Ribs, Pork Butt, shoulder, Tri-Tip, etc..., or do I just jump right up and go for the Brisket, lol?

Do da butt. It's a much more forgiving cut to work with when you're learning the ins-and-outs of both your rig and the process in general.

I would say Butt/Shoulder for your first smoke. Or is you want to go cheap and fast go for a chicken spatchcock it and put on a rub. Enjoy

Do da butt. It's a much more forgiving cut to work with when you're learning the ins-and-outs of both your rig and the process in general.

Yeah, throw a few of them on there and freeze some for later.

Pork or chicken, get some heat and grease on it.. Good luck and have fun..

I also say do the butt and add some fatties in, go with the easy stuff and get some seasoning in there.

+1 on pork butt & fatties. maybe throw on some thighs or drumsticks - spread 'em around & see where the hot/cool spots are.

Ribs are always nice, but then so are wings, pastrami, fatties, ABTs..............
Dang, have done it again.... gone and made myself hungry :hungry:

Remember to post pics :thumb:

Back