MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Default Rib ? Babybacks vs Kansas city style.

Which do you prefer? I am heading to the butchers and I have mainly cooked Babybacks, but after looking at these posts all day, I am thinking that the larger KC style might be better cooked on the Smoker. For years I have done the BB's in the oven low and slow at 190 all day in a pan of watered down q sauce and then basted with beer. Then off to the gasser to finish. However, when I do bb's on the smoker I don't think the ones I get have enough fat to render and they aren't as tender as my oven roasted ones. Are KC style better?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
rabeb25
Full Fledged Farker

I was a long time loin back rib cooker. I didn't really like the thicker meat on the loin back especially the super thick part on the beginning and always found myself taking ribs from the end. I tried spares and while I liked the evenness of the meat and the flavor I hated all the cartilage and small bones. I then gave up and went back to the loin backs again. I just tried some KC trimmed spares, and fell in LOVE with them.. For me it was the best of both worlds no small bones and even meat thickness. It's all I do now.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Whats the difference between St Louis and KC Style ribs?

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometruckin View Post
Whats the difference between St Louis and KC Style ribs?
I'd like to know too.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

Kansas City style ribs are like St. Louis Style ribs except that all of the gristle, flap meat and long strips of fat are trimmed off. (And smoked as "rib tips"). The result is a tapered slab. I'll try to find a picture or video... Somebody help me here.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 04-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirknwrk View Post
Kansas City style ribs are like St. Louis Style ribs except that all of the gristle, flap meat and long strips of fat are trimmed off. (And smoked as "rib tips"). The result is a tapered slab. I'll try to find a picture or video... Somebody help me here.
Funny thing is that's how I sometimes trim my spares.....been doing that for several years. I didn't realize that was a particular style of ribs and always thought of that as St. Louis as well.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

This is the best tutorial I've seen for trimming St. Louis style, and he's a brethren.

http://thehogblog.com/?p=695

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Have never heard of a differentiation between St. Louis cut and KC before. And the definitions of St Louis style ribs is the same as what Shrknwrk describes above as KC style. Rib tips are pretty popular around here as well!

Only thing I've ever heard about Kansas City style ribs has to do with the seasoning and saucing of them. Interested to see where this goes as maybe I'm missing something?

I'm also a bigger fan of spares than back ribs, as I think they are tastier due to the higher fat content
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
BobM
Babbling Farker

I like them both.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

If you trim off everything except the meat & bones that are under the silverskin, you'd have a Kansas City trimmed slab. Only a little more than half the untrimmed slab.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
If you trim off everything except the meat & bones that are under the silverskin, you'd have a Kansas City trimmed slab. Only a little more than half the untrimmed slab.
I thought this was St. Louis style? Am I missing something?
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

My spares look tapered after trimming. That sometimes fools my wife into thinking they're baby backs....and she prefers bb's over spares.....lol..

Old 04-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Kansas City style ribs
I prefer St. Louis cuts self, especially for comps
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS2SB View Post
I thought this was St. Louis style? Am I missing something?
I believe the same thing
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Per Wikipedia..
St. Louis style ribs (or St. Louis cut spare ribs) are St. Louis style when the sternum bone, cartilage, and rib tips (see below) have been removed. The shape is almost rectangular. Kansas City style ribs are trimmed even more closely than the St. Louis style ribs, and have the hard bone removed.

Per the man over at Amazingribs.com
Kansas City cut. Not a commonly accepted term, it is usually used to refer to what is otherwise known as a St. Louis cut. Sounds like a little Missouri rivalry to me.

Per here... http://texascookin.blogspot.com/2009...louis-way.html
"Once you get past the last (12th or 13th) rib, you make the perpendicular cut to separate the thin tail meat from the slab of ribs. Cutting off that end as well as the chine bone and catilege is what makes a St. Louis cut into a Kansas City cut (so I've been told)."

Per here... http://www.bigdaddyskitchen.com/bbq&grilling/ribs.htm
"You may have heard of St. Louis style ribs and Kansas City style ribs. These are merely variations on spare ribs, and refer to the way the slabs are trimmed. St. Louis style has the brisket bone removed, while Kansas City style are trimmed even more having the hard bone removed."

So it sounds to me that no one really knows what the difference is. 4 Different sites with four different answers. Sounds like we have a debate on our hands...

Heck, even I don't know the difference and I'm a born and raised STL native..

Last edited by flyingbassman5; 04-03-2013 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: Fixed format
flyingbassman5 is offline   Reply With Quote