• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Horn & Tubes....

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
OK I'll be the one to step up and say it. I have no idea where to find them on a butt. I see a ton of reference to them, but I have no idea if this is one of those "figure it out yourself" items, or "take a class like we did".

Anybody care to let the rest of us in?

"Horn meat" is by the bone of the pork butt. Once the butt is cooked, if you take those pieces out, they resemble a horn.

"Tubes" are referring to the muscles of the pork butt that are surrounded by fat. Next time you are at the market, find "Pork Steaks". You will see each individual tube.

"Horn meat" is by the bone of the pork butt. Once the butt is cooked, if you take those pieces out, they resemble a horn.

"Tubes" are referring to the muscles of the pork butt that are surrounded by fat. Next time you are at the market, find "Pork Steaks". You will see each individual tube.

Thanks. I think I kinda get the tubes.

The "horn" still confuses me. I know you said its by the bone, but the bone has multiple sides. Which side?

Thanks. I think I kinda get the tubes.

The "horn" still confuses me. I know you said its by the bone, but the bone has multiple sides. Which side?
Did you click on the link above? Its the center part of the "Y" shaped bone.

Did you click on the link above? Its the center part of the "Y" shaped bone.

My apologies. Somehow I completely missed that post and the link. That pretty much explains it. I guess its just me. I always felt like the meat right against the bone had a slight gaminess.

The Italians have known all this for centuries. The coppa is the money muscle plus the tubes. Find a nice slice of capricola and you can see what you should be saving.

On the horn, cook a butt and take it apart carefully in big chunks. You want to look at all the meat around the bone. The horn is the smooth piece that will be pink at least 2/3 of the way around. Shh don't tell any one, but it is the bone that makes this a delectable piece. Sure it is tender enough without it, but not near as good.

If I was to grill it.... I'd leave it attached to the bone with some meat to "insulate" it.

boston-butt1.jpg

Here is a shot from BBQ Success.

I agree that the horn is the strongest tasting muscle in the butt.

Some folks really like that "gamey" flavor, but just as many dislike it.

I go with the Offend Nobody Theory and leave the horn out of my box.

I agree that the horn is the strongest tasting muscle in the butt.

Some folks really like that "gamey" flavor, but just as many dislike it.

I go with the Offend Nobody Theory and leave the horn out of my box.

Horn typically did not make it in our box either, for the reasons stated above.

Back