MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Forgive Me Brethren

Still new to this and finished my 4th or 5th brisket today. I've been happy with the results so far but I'm still having problems with the flat being dry. Not leather dry but not juicy either. Tender but dry maybe? Anyways...

I'm not sure where I picked up the notion, but every brisket attempt so far I've separated the flat and point to make burnt ends. After researching tri-level brisket posts by Popdaddy and PMT I figured I'd just slice the point tonight. That magical, juicy, sexiness I've been searching for in my flats has been waiting for me in the point all this time. First time in a while that I broke out in dance after taste testing. Had some Gap Band rockin in the kitchen, doing my truffle shuffle, and wifey walks in. After shoving some meat in her mouth she understood.

Forgive me elder brethren for chopping and torching mouthgasm point meat.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yeah, burnt ends are not the end-all-be-all of brisket. I never cook "for" burnt ends...they are a product of my overall effort. I always cook the packer intact. But, that's just me. YMMV! But, in fact, briskets are a bit more challenging than other que!! I love sliced point when it's fresh.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo Sizzle My Nizzle View Post
Still new to this and finished my 4th or 5th brisket today. I've been happy with the results so far but I'm still having problems with the flat being dry. Not leather dry but not juicy either. Tender but dry maybe? Anyways...

I'm not sure where I picked up the notion, but every brisket attempt so far I've separated the flat and point to make burnt ends. After researching tri-level brisket posts by Popdaddy and PMT I figured I'd just slice the point tonight. That magical, juicy, sexiness I've been searching for in my flats has been waiting for me in the point all this time. First time in a while that I broke out in dance after taste testing. Had some Gap Band rockin in the kitchen, doing my truffle shuffle, and wifey walks in. After shoving some meat in her mouth she understood.

Forgive me elder brethren for chopping and torching mouthgasm point meat.
Finally sanity prevails. We give the flats to the uninformed and the children at my house and eat the point. I make a whole 12 lb packer just to get the 2.5 lbs of point! burnt ends (as good as they are) are taking the best part of the brisket and turning it into some kind of parlor trick (kidding, of course). I make stuff like that out of the flat but the point is sacred down here. Now you know why. Welcome to the club. Secret handshake instructions to follow.
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
bo_gator
On the road to being a farker

Hell, if anyone needs to apologize to the brethren today it is me. I cooked my brisket in the oven today
bo_gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_gator View Post
Hell, if anyone needs to apologize to the brethren today it is me. I cooked my brisket in the oven today
Some things are better not spoken aloud. We all do things we are not proud of the key is to not do it often or get caught doing it!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
juslearning
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_gator View Post
OHHHHH the shame!!!!!!!!
Proud supporter of #14 Tony Stewart. Go Smoke!!!!
juslearning is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

You have finally came into the light the point is my favorite part of the brisket and I Never waste it on burnt ends. The flat can be fickle due to lack of marbling. Save any dippings left in your foil and separate the fat, save it. the next brisket warm up the fat and inject it into the flat. If you don't have any use canolla oil. Works like larding lean meats such as venison.