MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Brisket in MA and Walmart Brisket Q's

Any Massachusetts based brethren out there have a good source for a full packer brisket? I know Restaurant Depot probably has them but I am not a KCBS member. Do all RD's allow a day pass for KCBS members? We have one in Needham, MA which isn't too far from me.

I was in the Walmart Supercenter or whatever it is called in Worcester MA this past weekend. They had what looked like full briskets for $2.49 a pound that were between 8-12 pounds. These OK? They looked pretty generic but appeared to be full packers. I didn't know a full packer was as small as 8lbs....

Most of what I see around here are flats and usually $4.50/lb. Would like to try a larger cut for once...

Remember RGB....always sending it
jmellor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Those Wal Mart brisket work good for me
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

I have cooked a lot of wally world briskets which are generally "choice" grade. Pick through them and find one that bends easily and looks evenly cut on the flat. It will be good to smoke. The idea of smoking a brisket is to take an otherwise tough piece of meat and cook it tender.

There is a lot of different things going on in smoking a brisket until it is tender and juicy, too much to go into here. There are lots of methods out there to get a good tender and juicy outcome. Just do what works best for you and you will be successful. Read all you can from other cooks and apply what you think will work with your needs and your smoker. Good Luck!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Hey JT, I am a member at RD and just called them about a day pass. The guy said it is members only. Called the one in Everett and they will allow anyone in on a day pass, but just that one time.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

Not very close to you, but Arnolds in Chicopee and East Long Meadow both carry full packers.

Although I don't use them for comps, I have had good success with the Walmart packers.........just make sure to give them a good look over before you buy.

RD is the best bet though, if you are a KCBS member you should be able to get the day pass.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
MarleyMan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellor View Post
Do all RD's allow a day pass for KCBS members? We have one in Needham, MA which isn't too far from me.
Yes, once you join you present your KCBS ID card and the coupon from the KCBS website. The coupon has a # for the clerk to key in and they will give you a day pass.

You can do this multiple times as long as you are a member. It's a nice perk and the savings will pay for your membership.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
sdpike
On the road to being a farker

Hi Jmellor I'm in Groton, MA and get my packer from a local butcher, Country butcher and deli. Can't speak for Wal Mart. Neither Costco or BJ's has a full packer. If you can find a source definitively get at least a choice grade cut. Do a YELP search for meats and you'll find suppliers. I found John Dewar in Wellseley as an example.
sdpike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
HubFlyer
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellor View Post
Any Massachusetts based brethren out there have a good source for a full packer brisket? I know Restaurant Depot probably has them but I am not a KCBS member. Do all RD's allow a day pass for KCBS members? We have one in Needham, MA which isn't too far from me.

Most of what I see around here are flats and usually $4.50/lb. Would like to try a larger cut for once...
I recently joined KCBS and when I got my membership card immediately printed out the RD day pass from the members section and headed over to Needham. Showed both at the desk and I was issued a pass, no questions asked. As MarleyMan said, it was pretty simple. Be prepared, though, it is much more of a 'warehouse' than Costco/BJ's (kind of dirty and grimy, actually). But the selection was great.

I have been getting the flats at BJ's but looking forward to trying a packer from RD when the weather smooths out.

Last edited by HubFlyer; 06-04-2012 at 07:23 PM..
HubFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks All-
Love this place. Appreciate all the information. I will try a Walmart brisket short term and look into the RD option with the KCBS membership.

SD Pike, have you ever tried Blood Farm as well? Isn't that up your way?

Richard, thanks for calling RD....much appreciated and something I should have done...Did an overnight cook on the UDS for a pork shoulder....next stop brisket!

Hubflyer, thanks for the help on the Needham location. And welcome to the forum.
JT

Remember RGB....always sending it
jmellor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2015, 07:17 PM   #10
IronSmoke
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Fairway Beef in Worcester Ma has always had whole packers when I've gone and they've worked great for me. They actually have all kinds and cuts of meat at very reasonable prices - but beware, they are NOT open on Sundays so plan ahead, lol.
IronSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #11
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Let me channel my inner bludawg...
When the cow gets on the truck it has no idea what store it's headed to.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-02-2015, 09:21 PM   #12
Bludawg

Meat is meat! The cows have no say in the matter as to which truck they ride out of the packing house. One brisket might go to RD and 1 to Walfarts off the same critter.